starting strength gym

Thread: Questions on Texas Method

Default Questions on Texas Method

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rippetoe -

First of all I can not tell you how much respect I have for you as a strength coach. You have truly inspired me. I have a couple of questions regarding the Texas Method, if you do not mind. I just finished reading Practical Programming second edition.

I am starting the Texas Method and am concerned about the power cleans. The novice program I completed was Stronglifts 5x5, because it called for barbell rows in lieu of powercleans (I was not comfortable doing power cleans and never had anyone teach me how to do them). My current 5RM PRs are as follows:

Squat - 325
    Bench - 220
    Deadlift - 350
    Press - 160
    Barbell Row - 215

I am considering starting the Texas Method following this protocol -

Mon:

1. Squat - 5x5
    2. Bench - 5x5
    3. Deadlift - 5RM

Wed:

1. Squat - 2x5 (80% of Monday)
    2. Press - 3x5
    3. Back extensions
    4. Chinups

Fri:

1. Squat - 5RM
    2. Bench - 5RM
    3. Power Clean - 5x3

If I drop the barbell rows and start doing power cleans, do you think my bench press PRs will suffer? I am concerned about this since barbell rows are such a good upper back exercise, which in turn helps you lift more on bench press.

In Practical Programming, you call for bench press and the press to be alternated every week (between Mon/Fri & Wed). I am considering always having bench press on Mon & Fri and the press on Wed. Bench Press PRs are very important to me and I would like to see PRs in a faster timeframe. What are your thoughts on this?

Your guidance is much appreciated.

Best Regards,

Mike

Why would you have just finished reading a book that has been obsolete and out of print for 2 years? Why do you think we published the 3rd edition?

Funny you ask. I did not realize there was a third edition until today. I will be ordering my copy of Amazon today!

If you do not mind me asking, if I drop the rows, do you think it will impact my bench press? Should I incorporate power cleans? If I were to do rows in lieu of power cleans on Friday, what set x rep range would you use? I was thinking 3x5 or 5x5.

Do you see any issues with me sticking to bench press on Mon & Fri and the press on Wed and not alternating the two every other week?

Funny you ask. I did not realize there was a 3rd edition out. I will be ordering a copy today.

Do you see any issues with my above questions? If I do barbell rows on Friday instead of power cleans, what set x rep range would you use? I was thinking 5x5 or 3x5. If I incorporate power cleans and drop the rows, do you think my bench press will suffer?

Also, if I stick with bench press on Mon & Fri and the press on Wed and do not alternate every other week, do you see any issues with this? I would like to try and hit bench press PRs every Friday, as opposed to every other Friday.

Thank you,

Mike

Buy PPST3 as you said, but in the meantime, you might find some useful information using the search function (or using google and including "site:startingstrength.com" in your search terms).

Since we're very nice and helpful people around here, I'll get you off to a really great start:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=55982

Much appreciated

starting strength coach development program
    Im not sure that your rows give so much bp gainz.

But im not much in favor of pcs either.

But its ofc ok to do rows, id suggest you do them on monday 3x5, 5x5 or whatever floats your boat.

I also suggest doing the dl on friday. Keeping press on just wednesday is also something id do if i ran tm.

And wtf man stronglifts is garbage, why do 5x5 when 3x5 works even better for lp. The hell didnt you do ss with rows instead if you wanted them so bad?

Finally pp3 is absolutely great, i cant recommend it enough but pick up a ss3 to because it goes into incredible and good details about how to perform the lifts.

When you get that nagging feel in the x from squats or whatever you open the book, recheck eye gaze etc and voila its fixed. Ss3 is like a few pages how to do ss the program and then hundreds on the lifts.

It is really important unless you can get coaching in rl often.

Welcome to the forum, lots of good info here : )
    Last edited by Tennisgolfboll; 03-06-2015 at 02:21 PM.