starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should there be "Goal Setting" when running a linear progression?

Default Should there be "Goal Setting" when running a linear progression?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    It seems like there would be but with the day to day nature of a linear progression I get the feeling that it is best not to assume anything ahead of time? If goal setting is applicable how do these goals align with a 3-4 month linear progression?
    475x5 Deadlift
    360x5 Squat
    210x5 Bench
    170x5 Press
    Bodyweight < 210lbs (Maybe this is bad?)Probably is bad to set bodyweight goals but I'll leave it there
    Current Bodyweight: 184lbs

I don't know where to set my goals really. I've never "trained" with barbells but I can pull about 15 pounds over double bodyweight and can squat about 60-70lbs more than my bodyweight. At one point I was thinking since I have pretty good genetics for lifting I could get to a 600 pull in around a year of consistent hard training. That would be a 240 increase in deadlift strength which actually doesn't seem unfathomable for a novice teen lifter with good levers, work ethic, and genetics. Maybe I'm really naive though. I'll let you guys determine that haha.

"Baby armed bipeds" would have quite an advantage in the bench press, the lift that determines how much of a man you are. Not that the lift that requires use of everything in your entire body is a good test of strength...

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Just lift and see what happens.
    My goal is to push my genetic potential for strength.
    Exactly what I plan to do. Some of the barbell training differs from how I train for baseball so I'm trying to get everything straight so I don't screw over my lifting or my baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    The goal is to be a novice and make novice gains as long as possible.
    Exactly. Any other goal setting is pointless because you will already be getting as strong as you can as fast as you can.

You're 16, right? Just run the program as written for as long as you can. Eat and sleep as optimally as possible. Basically, follow the advice you were given in the other thread. Wherever you finish LP, you finish. Don't worry about how long it takes - you've got time. Some guys are repping 500+ squats at the end of LP. The vast majority of us weren't even close.

Your training goals right now should be not to miss any workouts and to eat enough to keep getting stronger. Also to emphasize good form over moving heavier weight. Once you've exhausted your linear progress after one or two resets see where you're at and pick some numbers to work towards.

Basically I'm saying don't worry about the numbers, focus on forming good habits, like training regularly and dialing in perfect form. If you do that the big numbers will come with time. Once you have that solid base of knowledge, discipline, skill and strength to build from hitting those numbers will be a simple matter of time and effort. If you focus on the numbers and not the process you'll probably either get discouraged before reaching your numbers or get hurt from pushing too hard too fast.

I think the most useful insight outside SS/PPST is from Karl Schudt, who said that novice/intermediate/advanced should have been named Happy, Grumpy and Desperate.

Your goal should be to remain Happy for as long as possible.

whatever works for you. some people are motivated by chasing a specific goal, for some it's detrimental. I think the worst thing is telling yourself you've reached your potential because of some number. Like others have pointed out, there's no definite weight you "should" reach via LP, it alwas depends on the person.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

To echo what was said earlier: just run the program. It doesn't make any sense to hit "target" numbers because everyone is different. Keep things as simple as possible, for as long as possible. Intermediate programming really ain't all it's cracked up to be.

starting strength coach development program
    Will do. It seems most people err on the side of caution when running a linear program and really limit themselves. To clarify 10lbs jumps in Squat for 3-4 weeks at upper end (or as long as possible without getting stuck)? Deadlifts at 10lbs per session with 3x a week volume until recovery is compromised? Bench, Press and Power Clean at 5lbs a workout as long as possible before micro loading? Is it bad if I take 10lbs jumps with the Power Clean for the first 6-10 "PC Days"? I just want to clear up any of my confusion so I don't run the program incorrectly thus limiting my growth potential.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast