starting strength gym

Thread: Are Texas DL Bars Bullshit?

Default Are Texas DL Bars Bullshit?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My buddy posted a you-squeeze video of an 800lbs 18"DL and I noticed a considerable bend in the bar before the weight lifted up. Now, it's probably a Texas DL Bar, they give more whip than other bars, but are they stronger? Do the Texas DL Bars whip for longevity of purchasing a barbell? Or do they bend just so the user/athlete pulls more weight due to a higher lifting point?

The point to me, is that with technology, it can definitely aid in big numbers being lifted, however, I would argue it's almost cheating one's self to claim the weight being lifted when in reality, one might not be making that lift without that extra 1'' ( or approx. of bend) of pull. What if a stiffer bar was produced, could the same when then be pulled? I think not, but, it's speculation.

Now take that Texas DL Bar and squatting becomes more difficult due to a bouncing effect whenever good speed is applied, I can't imagine one hitting personal bests with vertical wobbles off the rebound.

In summary, I think that special bars that have advantages of increasing lifts are bullshit because they enhance false numbers of a lift that may/may not be used in the norm of weight training and competition. I could be wrong, and I'm open to criticism and different view points.

Quote Originally Posted by MPYusko View Post
    Now, it's probably a Texas DL Bar, they give more whip than other bars, but are they stronger? Do the Texas DL Bars whip for longevity of purchasing a barbell? Or do they bend just so the user/athlete pulls more weight due to a higher lifting point?
    Well, they aren't stronger. The barbell deflecting more doesn't add any longevity to the bar (not sure how this would happen?). Basically they help you lift more weight.

You might want to read this thread, starting at Post #9: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ml#post1200035

Savs estimated that you get 10# out of a DL bar (plus bumpers) at 405 and 30# at 700: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ml#post1201096

This is your first post on the board? WTF.

Bearing Bars with whip let you lift more in the snatch and the clean and jerk, that means Olympic lifters are cheating! They should be lifting on a fat bar with fixed sleeves.

Stiff bars with regular plates make your bench press too stable and let you lift more weight, that's cheating! You should only bench press with a tsunami bar with kettle bells hanging by bands from the end. That's functional.

You mention competition... You do realize that many federations use specific bars for each lift, right? That's why people really only compare themselves to those lifting under the same set of rules.

Tell me, is wearing a belt cheating? Knee sleeves? How about wrist wraps? Knee wraps in federations that allow them?

I pull less on a Texas DL bar than a normal 28-28.5mm bar. I honestly am now thinking it is because the knurling. With my wider stance the knurling drags up my legs pretty hard at lockout. A smoother bar is a little easier to lockout. The knurling is pretty aggressive for sure. Like Cody said, weightlifting uses whippy bars too. If someone is doing deadlifts on a 28mm bar, are they cheating compared to a stiffer 29mm power bar?