starting strength gym

Thread: Halting DL Form Check

Default Halting DL Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    What am I doing: oh god, please someone help me. This is the second set of 405 2x8. I watched the Platform video on haltings and attempted to emulate the form.

Featuring special cameos by DAN GREEN and a bunch of other people you don't know.

https://vimeo.com/108075095

They felt good, but I'm not sure if I am doing them in a productive way. Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how the carryover to a full deadlift works, but my previous plan involved never deadlifting, so this is a manageable step up. In particular, my upper back was unusually fatigued afterward.

Thank you for your time.

Hola Sean,

Normally if you are doing haltings, you will also be working on rack pulls or full deadlifts, too. If doing haltings plus rack pulls, you are working the full deadlift range, with a significant overload during the rack pulls. My suggestion to you would be to keep the bar on your legs. Right now, that isn't happening. Socks will help with that. Other than that, they look pretty good.

What's with all the little people walking on your platform during your set? I would sort that out pronto.

Thanks, Tom. I'll try the socks.

I was confused because my halting deadlift 8RM is roughly 150lbs under my below-the-knee rack pull 5RM. It didn't make sense to me that training haltings around 405 would make much of a difference in pulling 545 when the hard part for me is just off the ground.

I was reading through the back sections of PPST3 today and noticed that the prescription weights for haltings and rack pulls in one setup are fairly close to each other, so that the deadlift is divided into halves at roughly equal intensity, which makes sense. The haltings are probably then just exposing an upper back weakness.

Eights off the floor are a lot harder than fives from below the knee, too, at the same weight.

Tom why does the bar swing away from the legs? Is it because he is on his toes or because he is not committing to keep it close?

starting strength coach development program
    Maybe a little bit of both, but I am guessing the latter is the biggest reason.