starting strength gym

Thread: Microloading on the bench press - how small should the steps be?

Default Microloading on the bench press - how small should the steps be?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm still in the early novice phase, 187 lbs, 130 BP 5RM. In SS Rip mentions that 5 lbs won't be sustainable for most men for a long time on the BP. But how small should the steps be? I've got 0.5 kg plates here, so I could go 0.5, 1.25, 1.75, 2.5.

Is that small enough or does it make sense to take even smaller steps? Definitely feel like the BP and the OHP are the lifts I'm struggling with the most.

There's no black and white answer for this, a smaller person will want smaller increases. If you're training in a commercial gym, then 0.5 is probably too small and will get buried in the minute variations in actual plate weights. The short answer is, which ever will let you keep progressing the longest before you get stuck. Ideally, I think, each bench session should feel challenging, but not so challenging that you're constantly worried about missing reps. Personally, I did 2.5 lb jumps for a while, but I'm actually going to try using smaller jumps now, 1 to 1.5 lbs.

"Personally, I did 2.5 lb jumps "

"then 0.5 is probably too small and will get buried in the minute "

"0.5 kg plates here"

.5 kg plates work out to 2.2 lb increases.

I must have completely read over the kg part.

Thats what I thought. Depending on the gym, .5 lb plates can be useful, but most commercial gyms do not fall into that category.

One of the places I lift have calibrated eliko compettion powerlifting plates and the Ivanko and york bumpers are pretty dead on.

While my weight moved from 170 to 210 or so, I did 5lb jumps to 185 and then 2.5lb jumps up to where I am now, attempting 235. I'm 5'11''.

It's pretty well established that 2.5lb (or 1kg) jumps are what you will wind up on for the bench, press, and clean. Some people have to do 1lb jumps, but that has not been my experience if I eat correctly.

Simple answer here: As big as you can handle without stalling.

Simple answer here: As big as you can handle without stalling. Too small is better than too big.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    Simple answer here: As big as you can handle without stalling. Too small is better than too big.
    Quit that!

starting strength coach development program
    Thats not what she said.