starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: program for both type 1 and type 2 muscle fibers

Default program for both type 1 and type 2 muscle fibers

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just reading up on muscle fibers in pp. Wondering if should, or possiable to work on both in program. Say after my heavy sets doing a couple light high reps. Now on a 4 day split ( posted somewhere on here) doing heavy sets and de sets of each workout on different days. Thinking about doing some light work after heavy sets. Pointless?

I wouldn't say it is pointless. The conjugate method sort of does this. You have your ME work, DE work, and Hypertrophy work. All the hypertrophy stuff is done in the higher rep ranges with smaller breaks between sets. Using the split from the book, on OHP day, you could do ME OHP, closegrip bench DE, and tricep pushdowns or skull crushers for hypertrophy (or whatever exercises you like). I am more of a novice, so most of my assistance stuff is 3x10 (3 sets of 10 reps). If you look at some routines online, guys add more exercises and sets... but they are most likely advanced lifters too.

Right now I am only adding 1 or 2 assistance exercises per workout. Actually today is my OHP day, and I do 1 Arm DB Rows and Tricep Pushdowns as my extra assistance work on top of Olympic Press (ME) and Closegrip Bench (DE). As I continue to progress, I will evaluate my assistance exercises and see if I need to change them up or add more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I wouldn't say it is pointless. The conjugate method sort of does this. You have your ME work, DE work, and Hypertrophy work. All the hypertrophy stuff is done in the higher rep ranges with smaller breaks between sets. Using the split from the book, on OHP day, you could do ME OHP, closegrip bench DE, and tricep pushdowns or skull crushers for hypertrophy (or whatever exercises you like). I am more of a novice, so most of my assistance stuff is 3x10 (3 sets of 10 reps). If you look at some routines online, guys add more exercises and sets... but they are most likely advanced lifters too.

Right now I am only adding 1 or 2 assistance exercises per workout. Actually today is my OHP day, and I do 1 Arm DB Rows and Tricep Pushdowns as my extra assistance work on top of Olympic Press (ME) and Closegrip Bench (DE). As I continue to progress, I will evaluate my assistance exercises and see if I need to change them up or add more of them.
    cool but what about the same excersice. Say you do heavy ohp then drop the weight and do higher reps less rest for a couple sets of the same excersice?

Crossfitfootball.com

Enter the kettlebell, by pavel.

Anything by Dan John.

Quote Originally Posted by spartskis View Post
    cool but what about the same excersice. Say you do heavy ohp then drop the weight and do higher reps less rest for a couple sets of the same excersice?
    I don't, since I do the 8 heavy sets. You could do less heavy sets, say 4 at a minimum, and then do some drop sets if you wanted to. I don't have too much experience with drop sets, but I see a lot of people doing them with some success.

The Texas Method works slow twitch muscle fibers on volume day and fast twitch muscle fibers on intensity day. Basically any strength program with a bodybuilding day or any bodybuilding training at all covers everything.

"The Texas Method works slow twitch muscle fibers on volume day and fast twitch muscle fibers on intensity day"

No, it doesn't. 5x5 still hit's primarily fast twitch (high threshold) motor units. SLow twitch would be a metcon or a monostructural activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    "The Texas Method works slow twitch muscle fibers on volume day and fast twitch muscle fibers on intensity day"

No, it doesn't. 5x5 still hit's primarily fast twitch (high threshold) motor units. SLow twitch would be a metcon or a monostructural activity.
    I was waiting for this. Yes it does, 5x5 has more and more slow twitch fibers picking up the slack with each set. Your fast twitch fibers get fatigued very quickly. That's how bodybuilding works. That little 'effects of rep ranges' chart in practical programming doesn't take into account how many sets you do so that's an easy mistake to make.

Slow twitch rely on oxidative fat for energy. In a set of five, you aren't tapping into this, unless your rest is very short (like in a tabata).

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
    Slow twitch rely on oxidative fat for energy. In a set of five, you aren't tapping into this, unless your rest is very short (like in a tabata).
    You are tapping into this more and more with each set. You are lifting very very heavy weight (for you) so it isn't like sprinting or something, it is incredibly demanding for your fast twitch muscle fibres and they get zapped very quickly. That chart confuses a lot of people. When you are doing that many reps it actually doesn't matter if it's spread across 5 sets of 5 or 3 sets of 8.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast