starting strength gym

Thread: Beyond CrossFit

Default Beyond CrossFit

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm looking for programs that have taken what CrossFit has to offer and improved upon it. How did they improve and what makes them successful?

Not looking to make another thread to bitch about CF... More looking to see who's moving things in a positive direction.

I think ti's fallacious to consider things as matters of "programs" - CF isn't a program either, anyway. And CF is freely borrowing from other schools of thought that did the real hard work. It's not a matter of "improving CrossFit", but ignoring it and finding out where they were getting their ideas from. There's nothing there to improve because they say, "Oh, yeah, everything good from the S&C literature about functional stuff, yeah, sure, we got that, too, it can be a part of CF, sure." CF really added no value there.

Anyway, the first thing to ask is, what are the goals you're after? If you're after becoming a good 5K or marathon runner or even a rower or biker, there's a lot of literature about best practices. If you're after becoming a powerlifter, there's a lot of literature. If you're interested in strongman, not as much literature, but there are ideas from the practice of professionals and from the S&C community.

Default more info please

What are your training goals? What are your current training numbers? What do you mean by 'what crossfit has to offer'?

Without any other information, u cant really get a decent answer from anyone here.

I mean, if you're interested in running, you start from Lydiard and work from there. See letsrun.com for more details on the major players in running theory. If you're not really interested in being the best you can be in running of you can't handle the volume, then it doesn't really matter. There are better and worse options, but everything is constrained by your limitations.

Same idea for almost any other endeavour, but the general idea is this: train for your goals.

Quote Originally Posted by somedude View Post
    I'm looking for programs that have taken what CrossFit has to offer and improved upon it. How did they improve and what makes them successful?

Not looking to make another thread to bitch about CF... More looking to see who's moving things in a positive direction.
    Like everyone else said, success is directly related to your goals.

Goals of "being generally healthy and in shape" and "going to the crossfit games" are going to look like two entirely different things.

Quote Originally Posted by somedude View Post
    Might give this a look...

http://militaryathlete.com/

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by bjbrookz View Post
    Might give this a look...

http://militaryathlete.com/
    Thanks. Bookmarked for later reading.