starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squat Bottom - Tell me why this idea is HORRIBLE?

Default Squat Bottom - Tell me why this idea is HORRIBLE?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    OK so this picture of course is just to sell the rack, but let's imagine that the actual safeties are up about 6 to 8 holes, which provides safety as designed.
    So where the actual safety is set in the photo, imagine another set of safeties 2 or 3 holes above or two below which would have to be “tweaked” to match your actual bottom.

Now that we have the lower safety set parallel to bottom, we need to mark the floor the distance that we walk out and set (or two) of short bands from safety to safety the distance of "walk out" plus "x" to where our butt would hit parallel.

The idea of course is that your butt would hit the bands at the bottom but unlike a box squat there is no “finding bottom” or a hard stop. You can go lower, you can even spring off it. But the key is in theory I think you could continue with a natural squat movement and have a “device” of sorts to find bottom, over and over at the exact same spot.

Now besides being a dope and walking so far back that you make contact with your calves and trip over these what could go wrong or why is this a horrible idea?

No.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr View Post
    No.
    Use your words....

Why would someone need this?

Your walkout won't always be exactly the same, so the feedback you get from the band won't always be exactly the same.

Sometimes you might have to lift at a different gym where you won't have this band setup to tell you how deep to squat. It's better to just develop awareness of where you are in space.

Of course, there's also the risk of tripping over the damn thing with several hundred pounds on your back.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Why would someone need this?

Your walkout won't always be exactly the same, so the feedback you get from the band won't always be exactly the same.

Sometimes you might have to lift at a different gym where you won't have this band setup to tell you how deep to squat. It's better to just develop awareness of where you are in space.

Of course, there's also the risk of tripping over the damn thing with several hundred pounds on your back.
    I did say mark the floor right? Or maybe I left that out. But yes to get the same feedback it would need to be the same spot.
    Why would anyone need it? Well nobody needs it, I just like to tinker with crazy ideas, this one is actually pretty low tech.
    So I'm not married to it but besides the tripping I wondered what makes it bad.
    I had considered hooking up an optical sensor.

When I first started lifting I wired up a breadboard and taped it to my leg, when I hit parallel it would beep. I considered developing that into a product of sorts but the performance was pretty darn good using mercury switches and not so much with tilt switches that have now replaced them.

Frankly, it sounds like a solution in search of a problem.

I understand u do not want to box squat, but the safest way to meet your expectations is to use a box with a deep cushion....

Quote Originally Posted by I_iz_a_fatass View Post
    Frankly, it sounds like a solution in search of a problem.
    Yes! That's is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by mjrpwrlfting View Post
    I understand u do not want to box squat, but the safest way to meet your expectations is to use a box with a deep cushion....
    Thanks but I've eliminated safety as a concern. Really my expectation is "why is it a bad idea", deep cushion or not they have their own flaws too.

Quote Originally Posted by Strega View Post
    I did say mark the floor right? Or maybe I left that out. But yes to get the same feedback it would need to be the same spot.
    Never tried that, but even with markings I'd imagine you wouldn't want to be messing around trying to get your feet in the exact marked position with a heavy bar on your back.

I mean, if you want to use it similar to a TUBOW (for a short period of time) I guess you could do that. You could also just record video to check depth and various other things after each set.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Never tried that, but even with markings I'd imagine you wouldn't want to be messing around trying to get your feet in the exact marked position with a heavy bar on your back.

I mean, if you want to use it similar to a TUBOW (for a short period of time) I guess you could do that. You could also just record video to check depth and various other things after each set.
    Right, it's better to think of it as a training aid like TUBOW. If I did set this up (which I have not yet) I would fool around with 50% of my max squat just to test the feasibility of the idea. Regarding the entire walk out crap, I'll be 58 next week and I've considered using the Rogue Mono Lift attachment, not because I lift heavy but the "age" thing. I had moved to a safety squat bar for a good 8 months or so just because of age/flexibility issues but I'm really trying to work my way back to a regular squat as much as possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast