starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check - lower back pain

Default Squat Form Check - lower back pain

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey guys! Need help with my squats. I've been having pain after each rep in my lumbar spine, usually the right side only. I would appreciate a professional set of eyes. Thanks so much!

Squat on 6/14, 125 X 5 - YouTube

Your squats aren't bad, but you do need to go a bit deeper. I do see a potential cause for your back pain, however. You are going into overextension, especially on your ascent. Watch how your back moves as you squat. On the way down, you arch a little more and then on the way up, you arch more yet. The cure will be to keep your back still. This will mean your chest will be pointed towards the floor more than it is now. See if that helps. Also, definitely get yourself some lifting shoes. You will like em.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Also, definitely get yourself some lifting shoes. You will like em.
    She's wearing Adidas Powerlifts, a very runner-looking squat shoe:

Also, if I could be of any help, I had a very similar injury just recently that I posted about in this form-check thread:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...squat-rep.html

It was 100% caused by overextension of my lumbar. I seem to be having a lot of success in correcting it by using light weights or an empty bar at the start of my workout and using video replays to first get the back angle to look correct and then drill the feel of that angle with as many reps as needed until the replays are showing consistently good form.

Thanks so much Tom! Do you mean point my chest down towards the floor more? I often would collapse (be TOO horizontal) when I used that cue in the past, so I started staying more vertical. And yes, I'm wearing Adidas Powerlift 3.0's in the vid, I love them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alison Wolfer View Post
    Thanks so much Tom! Do you mean point my chest down towards the floor more?
    Yep.

I often would collapse (be TOO horizontal) when I used that cue in the past, so I started staying more vertical.
    You may not have been collapsing too much before, although it is possible. Whatever the case, getting you out of overextension would be wise.

And yes, I'm wearing Adidas Powerlift 3.0's in the vid, I love them!!
    I stand corrected.