starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Two quick questions

Default Two quick questions

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just two things I was wondering about.

1. Should bar speed on the way up always be as fast as possible? I'm almost through reading SS and there is mention of bar speed on the way down but I don't recall any talk about bar speed up.
    I'm guessing you just go as explosive as possible every time?

2. If I drop the bar from a clean or deadlift on a concrete floor with bumper plates will it still mess the floor up?
    I can always build a platform but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post

1. Should bar speed on the way up always be as fast as possible? I'm almost through reading SS and there is mention of bar speed on the way down but I don't recall any talk about bar speed up.

2. If I drop the bar from a clean or deadlift on a concrete floor with bumper plates will it still mess the floor up?
    1. As fast as possible yes. At limit weights this won't be fast, but will still be as fast as possible. Only exception is the initial warm ups with the empty bar where you can slow down until you get everything flowing.

2. I can't really say about this, sorry. I'd buy some rubber mats to be safe.

Dropping cleans and deadlifts is not necessary. I know we see it all the time in videos and those Crossfit douches are always throwing their shit down, but every time you drop the weights you are depriving yourself of the "negative" or eccentric value of the lift. A controlled lowering of the weight is preferable to dropping it. Yes, I understand that a 1RM dedlift cannot be set down gently. Just keep your hands on the bar as it "drops" and that will slow it down enough. Also, unless you are cleaning or snatching world class weights, there is no reason or need to drop a successful clean or snatch. (A missed clean or snatch, well those might land anywhere!) Just reverse the second pull so that the bar is at your waist, then lower it slowly.

I read that one reason why the "old time" weightlifters before rubber plates were so much more muscular than current competitiors is the fact that they received the beenfit of the negative. It may also have been the fact that the press was also part of the game back then. But we cannot rule out the value of the eccentric contraction in hypertrophy. You tube some old weightlifting to see how those guys would lower world class snatches and cleans with iron plates.

Finally, there is no need to construct an elaborate platform. If you are really concenred about chipping concrete floors or damaging iron plates by setting them down roughly on concrete, just lay down a single 6X8 sheet of plywood. That should be fine for deadlifts and cleans. Dont squat or press on it, though, since the edge of the wood will create a tripping hazard when you take the bar out of the racks.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Dropping cleans and deadlifts is not necessary. I know we see it all the time in videos and those Crossfit douches are always throwing their shit down, but every time you drop the weights you are depriving yourself of the "negative" or eccentric value of the lift. A controlled lowering of the weight is preferable to dropping it. Yes, I understand that a 1RM dedlift cannot be set down gently. Just keep your hands on the bar as it "drops" and that will slow it down enough. Also, unless you are cleaning or snatching world class weights, there is no reason or need to drop a successful clean or snatch. (A missed clean or snatch, well those might land anywhere!) Just reverse the second pull so that the bar is at your waist, then lower it slowly.

I read that one reason why the "old time" weightlifters before rubber plates were so much more muscular than current competitiors is the fact that they received the beenfit of the negative. It may also have been the fact that the press was also part of the game back then. But we cannot rule out the value of the eccentric contraction in hypertrophy. You tube some old weightlifting to see how those guys would lower world class snatches and cleans with iron plates.

Finally, there is no need to construct an elaborate platform. If you are really concenred about chipping concrete floors or damaging iron plates by setting them down roughly on concrete, just lay down a single 6X8 sheet of plywood. That should be fine for deadlifts and cleans. Dont squat or press on it, though, since the edge of the wood will create a tripping hazard when you take the bar out of the racks.
    Thanks! Sounds like I can make a pretty good compromise by lowering the weights quickly but not fully dropping them.

Thanks! Sounds like I can make a pretty good compromise by lowering the weights quickly but not fully dropping them.
    thats what I do. Also watch rips video "the iron plate problem"

Quote Originally Posted by brettd View Post
    thats what I do. Also watch rips video "the iron plate problem"
    Oh yeah I definitely watched that video, it was pretty funny.

I just happened to buy some 10lb bumper plates so I could power clean without blocks and I wondered if they were enough to protect a basement floor.

10Lb bumpers will be fine.but 15 would be better as the 10's will buckle when dropped over time.especially with any more weight added

Like brettd said, you will probably ruin 10 lb bumpers pretty quickly by dumping them.

I do not give a shit about the eccentric portion of the lift. I don't dump from overhead to look cool. I do it because bumpers are useful for that purpose, and I am uncoordinated enough that I can easily injure myself trying to carefully lower a snatch, clean or jerk near my max. It is not worth it for me to get hurt lowering a lift. You don't get white lights for how you lower the weight beyond controlling it down past your shoulders. You do get white lights for putting it overhead.

That said, if you are using 10 lb bumpers or are just warming up, then by all means, have fun with the eccentric portion of your lifts.

1. keep form tight, and finish your set as fast as possible while keeping your form damn tight. when the weight gets heavy, the bar speed will be slow as fuck - that is no reason to pussy out and not increase next time. you'll be surprised at how a weight that was hard last time, if you recover properly, a higher weight could fly up easier than the last workout. bottom line: don't be a pussy. keep everything tight and don't focus on bar speed - record it for your log, but when the weight gets heavy you won't have time to think about silly shit while under the bar, you're just going to be pushing with every muscle in your body. seriously, today I felt it in my calves when I squatted.

2. I use iron plates for everything, dropping it is not necessary. If you insist, I would definately buy a stack of cheap rubber mats. I'd still lower them like a civil being, though. sorry Tbone, you're an animal in my books ;-P

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    I'd still lower them like a civil being, though. sorry Tbone, you're an animal in my books ;-P
    How is this not civil?

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...50437942306085

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast