starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much can you GM?

Rusi Guest

Default How much can you GM?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    How much weight to use for GM compared to RDL for example?

I did 115 lbs very strict the other day, for a set of 10. First time doing them, though. It wasn't easy.

Since my squat is basically a good morning I would say my best good morning is 345 lbs.

I bang out RDL sets of 10 with 275 with hardly any strain, but 10 GMs with 185 are super tough.

RDL--6x245, GM 6x155

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    I did 115 lbs very strict the other day, for a set of 10. First time doing them, though. It wasn't easy.
    I am a little shocked by this. I can do the same, 115lb x10 very strict (to parallel with rounded back like Bill Starr teaches). But my squat is probably half yours. I woudlve thought you would be doing 115kg!

I can RDL something in the region of 120kg x 10

Rounded back? I will look into that. I was also surprised by that Carlos as one of my ladies does 135 easy and she has a 165 squat. She says she has retard strength though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    I am a little shocked by this. I can do the same, 115lb x10 very strict (to parallel with rounded back like Bill Starr teaches). But my squat is probably half yours. I woudlve thought you would be doing 115kg!

I can RDL something in the region of 120kg x 10
    When he says "very strict", I'm assuming that he means the way that KSC describes in his training log here, and showed in this video. Which is to say, not a round back, but an arched one.

Its easier to do flat/arched back good mornings. If you try to do a hard and heavy one with a round back, you are going to get broken!

starting strength coach development program
    IMO, it's too hard to quantify and it doesn't really matter. Everyone has different ROM because of hamstring flexibility, and everyone will have different ideas of 'strictness', even in a straight-back GM: the actual stiffness of the back and the degree of knee flexion allowed. The main thing is that your back is being trained.

It's like 'pendlay rows'. It doesn't really matter how much you row, as long as you're getting a training effect, and pushing the main lifts up, because they're too hard to quantify.

Thoughts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast