starting strength gym

Thread: All time biggest IPF squat - high bar style

Default All time biggest IPF squat - high bar style

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dmitry Ivanov squatted 460 kg in IPF worlds. This is even more than old Shane Hamma world record. Notice bar position.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Neat. Firstly, that isn't high bar. Not low bar either. More "middle bar". Secondly, I, and pretty much everyone else here, do not wear a squat suit, therefore modifying the bar position to take advantage of the suit holds little relevance. Thirdly, there are world records that were set with low bar.

I think the biggest thing to take away from this is that Dmitry is a very strong man.

His traps are very big and thats why it may look little bit lower. Certainly it is not low bar. I am not sure what is difference between middle and high bar.

OCG, do you really think he used high bar only to get more out from squat suit? I think there was more lifters using low bar style in this competition, although by the way Ivanov was not only one.

The positioning of the bar relative to his shoulders is not high bar.

This is not a very useful discussion in any case.

I always thought this was high bar, with the bar on the traps:

That looks like a low bar squat in those pictures to me, bar is being cradled between the traps and delts.

High bar:

Low bar:

The squat in the OP is definitely low bar based on these pics (assuming those positions are correct)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamWathan View Post
    The squat in the OP is definitely low bar based on these pics (assuming those positions are correct)
    Pictures you provided are correct, but i am surprised about your conclusion that Ivanov squat was definitely low bar. Have you seen how low bar position looks from front?

stonerider Guest

the traps go down the back quite a ways

ivanov has the bar placed lower on his traps like several bigger oly lifters do

starting strength coach development program
    I don't think you would get much more out of the suit going high bar with single ply gear. The multi ply guys use high bar (not all of them) to stay more upright. They seem to get more out of the gear that way. Now some guys are pretty upright with low bar, so they could go either way. Some suits have thick straps, so that is another reason guys have a hard time doing low bar.

If you look at vids of Eric Lilliebridge on youtube, he does high bar as well. He is a raw lifter (not IPF) and his fed allows knee wraps. I think his best squat is around 830. Lifters can be strong squatters either way. I think it comes down to how you are built and which style suits you best.