starting strength gym

Thread: New to SS

Default New to SS

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey everyone! I just joined this forum and I haven't worked out in a little over a year. I used to follow the Stronglifts 5x5 program but when I stopped working out (moved to a new state and had to get settled) every work out was taking forever due to 5 minute rests between sets of squats. I decided to check out SS due to less number of sets, less numbers to follow, and etc. Also, it seems Mehdi (the guy at stronglifts) seems to have closed down his forum.. or made it private. Also, it really seems like Mark Rippetoe knows what he's talking about

A few questions though. I really love dips and pull-ups, can I incorporate them into the program? Or should I just leave it the f alone? If so, which day should I do dips, and which day should I do pull-ups?

Also, I've never done power cleans before. Can I do them without bumper plates? We don't have bumper plates at the gym I'm at. Additionally, the power cage doesn't have a bar to support the bar at shin level. What should I do about this?

Thanks everyone! My training log can be found in the starting strength training logs if any of you care to check it out.

You can add dips and pull-ups, though you may be better off just sticking with the basics at first.

You can power clean without bumpers, just lower it down yourself, the negative is good work for you anyway. Shrug a bit as you're letting the bar fall from the rack to your waist, to slow the descent.

If you aren't yet strong enough to use the plates that have the bar at shin level, just pile two stacks of smaller plates for the necessary boost to get the bar where you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by gat-malice View Post
    Hey everyone! I just joined this forum and I haven't worked out in a little over a year. I used to follow the Stronglifts 5x5 program but when I stopped working out (moved to a new state and had to get settled) every work out was taking forever due to 5 minute rests between sets of squats. I decided to check out SS due to less number of sets, less numbers to follow, and etc. Also, it seems Mehdi (the guy at stronglifts) seems to have closed down his forum.. or made it private. Also, it really seems like Mark Rippetoe knows what he's talking about

A few questions though. I really love dips and pull-ups, can I incorporate them into the program? Or should I just leave it the f alone? If so, which day should I do dips, and which day should I do pull-ups?

Also, I've never done power cleans before. Can I do them without bumper plates? We don't have bumper plates at the gym I'm at. Additionally, the power cage doesn't have a bar to support the bar at shin level. What should I do about this?

Thanks everyone! My training log can be found in the starting strength training logs if any of you care to check it out.
    The first answer is have you searched the board ? (via google)

The second answer is: try the program as is at first. See how it goes.

The third answer is: Don't think there's an "official" place to put them. There's a couple of versions of SS in the different editions and in PP. I do chins (ok... they're actually lat pull-downs) After the deadlifts. I don't do dips, but if i did i'd pair them w/ the press instead of the BP since dips and BP are pretty similar.

[edit: check Resources-> videos -> "The iron Plate Problem" re the PC ]
    Last edited by veryhrm; 11-21-2011 at 03:46 AM.