starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when to do cardio?

Default when to do cardio?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm trying to lose mass, not gain it; so obviously I'd like to incorporate in some cardio with my SS training. I've done distance running (well, up to 15K) before, but that was when running was my main goal and not strength. Now that strength training is the priority, I'm not sure when I should incorporate some running (I enjoy HIIT as well as some steady-state runs). For those that include cardio with their SS, when do you get that in?

if it's something very light like fasted walking, you could do it everyday\

if it's high intensity when not in advanced novice, i'd probably only do it on friday or saturday (once a week)

if you're in advanced novice, probably on monday and/or friday. you could afford to do it here for twice a week since wednesday is a light day. you could also split your conditioning sessions one focusing on upper body and one on lower body

Really, running is the only cardio/conditioning I've enjoyed so I don't see myself doing any "upper body conditioning." I'm a pure novice in terms of lifting. I was a bit more advanced with my legs being conditioned for running, but it's been month since I've done any type of legit runs so I probably lost some of my endurance.

Don't say you want to lose mass, it comes out as meaning you want to lose muscle.
    Brisk walking can be done almost indefinitely without major consequences. That is, assuming you want to do cardio as a means to lose fat. If you want to improve your conditioning, it's gonna be hard on SS.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Don't say you want to lose mass, it comes out as meaning you want to lose muscle.
    Brisk walking can be done almost indefinitely without major consequences. That is, assuming you want to do cardio as a means to lose fat. If you want to improve your conditioning, it's gonna be hard on SS.
    Mass isn't exclusively muscle, but that's semantics. I want to lose fat obviously. The thing about brisk walking is, to be frank, it's fucking boring. Is it really that bad to be doing some jogging or wind sprints after lifting?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwiggity View Post
    Mass isn't exclusively muscle, but that's semantics. I want to lose fat obviously. The thing about brisk walking is, to be frank, it's fucking boring. Is it really that bad to be doing some jogging or wind sprints after lifting?
    You can try but it won't help your strength goals. Unless you do a shitload of jogging, it's not gonna burn a lot of fat either. Compare the effort of burning 300 kcal while jogging with the effort of not drinking a can of soda.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwiggity View Post
    if your goal is just body recomp, i don't see why not doing any conditioning but with a clean diet can't do the job

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    You can try but it won't help your strength goals. Unless you do a shitload of jogging, it's not gonna burn a lot of fat either. Compare the effort of burning 300 kcal while jogging with the effort of not drinking a can of soda.
    True, but there's just so many positive effects I've had when I was jogging or from doing sprints such as the cardiovascular endurance and the elevated mood which helped with my depression. Given I still get an endorphin rush from lifting, but definitely not as much. Dammit! -.-

Dude. If you want to to jog then do it. Just be smart and add it in slowly.

-Hat

starting strength coach development program
    In your log you mention you're ~300lbs. I would recommend against running, for the sake of your joints.
    If you want to do conditioning, check out the Death By Prowler article on the Resources page.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast