starting strength gym

Thread: 140kg deadlift form check

Default 140kg deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. I've read Starting Strength and Practical Programming, and have been doing SS for about 6 months.

Could you please take a look at my deadlift form and let me know how my lower back looks? It feels tight to me (the reason for the long setup is that I'm trying to be sure of this before starting) but it does look like it's rounding in the last rep of the set.

140kg deadlift form check - YouTube

Sorry for the legs in the way after the first rep. My setup and lower back are still visible though!

It does appear you are getting a little round in your low back that gets progressively worse in the last reps particularly the last. You also don't appear to lock your hips at the top.

Welcome to the forum!

From what I can tell, your deadlifts are not going to kill you!!!!

It's hard to give meaningful feedback on this vid. While I can still see your lower back, coaches don't just stare at one piece of you!!! We evaluate what the whole system is doing. To judge your setup up, I need to see your feet, the bar over your feet, your scapulae, etc...

Long story short, give us a better video and you will get better feedback!

Was that your workout partner in the background? Or was she just enamored with the GAINZ!?

Thank you for the welcome and the feedback guys. I didn't realise I wasn't locking out, that's really useful. I'll take a better video with stronger focus on form on the last few reps.

Lurchthrilla - no sadly not my training partner - yeah it must be the gainZz!! She's one of the handful of people at my gym who squats so she might have been sizing up the badonk...

starting strength coach development program
    A 45 degree angle on the video would help. It gets the plates out of the way. I wish that shrugger of light weights who blocked part of the view would have gone away as well. Butt was a little low. We'll watch for the better vid.