starting strength gym

Thread: Form check, deadlift at 320 lbs

Default Form check, deadlift at 320 lbs

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    First time I've looked at my own deadlift. It was a little easier than expected after a week off for vacation.

Deadlift at 320 lbs - YouTube

Things I see: I think I am a bit too far forward, and the first rep I broke my knees to early and the bar scooted out as a result. Anything else you'd change?

**I'm still learning so please take this with a grain of salt**

Hi. You look pretty good. I would change one thing on the set-up that may help with the rest of the pull. Think "Big Chest" right before you take that breath to tighten up and pull. This should help you activate your lats and keep the bar in contact with your shins and thighs. You'll know you're keeping the bar in close contact with your legs if it pulls your shorts up at the top of the movement.

So thinking "Big Chest" should help you engage the lats, which will make it easier to drag the bar up the shins and then up the thighs. If your shorts get pulled up when you get to the top you know you did it correctly. There should be no daylight between your legs and the bar on the way up.

Please let me know if this helps. I'm also learning, and ultimately would like to become a coach. I'm trying to use this forum to help me develop a coaches eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing_paddler View Post
    First time I've looked at my own deadlift. It was a little easier than expected after a week off for vacation.

Deadlift at 320 lbs - YouTube

Things I see: I think I am a bit too far forward, and the first rep I broke my knees to early and the bar scooted out as a result. Anything else you'd change?
    The bar should be in constant contact with your legs. You're so far forward that the bar is floating in front of your legs and is even going 'around' your knees. This makes the lift much harder than it has to be.

This may be a bit advanced for you at this stage, but I'll throw it in here in case it helps. Once you're set up, WITHOUT changing the angle of your hips or knees, "lean" backwards, holding onto the bar to keep you from falling back. JP Cauchi has a great video about this:

You are on your toes. We pull from midfoot.

In 5 steps, here’s how to deadlift:

1. Set your shins 1 inch from the bar. Putting the bar at 1 inch from the bar puts it directly over the midfoot.
    2. Without bending your knees, reach down and grip the bar just outside your shins. DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.
    3. Bend your knees and drop your shins until they touch the bar. Where your butt is at this point is where it will remain throughout the rest of the setup and beginning of the pull. Again: DO NOT MOVE THE BAR.
    4. Squeeze your chest up by pointing it at the wall in front of you. This starts a wave of extension throughout the back that will result in a flat back. If you find yourself on your toes at this point, rock back to shift your weight back to the midfoot.
    5. Drag the bar up your legs, keeping the bar in contact with your legs throughout the lift.

You switched steps 2 and 3, producing the error linked below (5min mark). Try again and repost.

On subsequent reps, your setup is better, but you allow the bar to cast away from your. Review the above video, this time at the 7:50 mark.
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 06-09-2017 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks everyone for watching and helping me out. I can't wait to fix this!

Feeling like a slacker for not posting something sooner, but here it is. I made it up to a set of 5 at 360lbs by Sept. but after a 2 week break for a house project and some accidental weight loss, here I am at 320 again.

YouTube

I felt a bit forward on the last rep and corrected that on the way up. Sorry for the plates covering my feet, bro I asked didn't know.

Thanks again for looking and helping me out!

Anyone have any notes for me on this follow up vid? See above. Thanks!

Solid pulls. A tiny bit of drifting back as the set progresses, but nothing excessive.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks!