starting strength gym

Thread: Heart Rate While Training

Default Heart Rate While Training

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,
    I am wondering if anyone wears a heart rate monitor when training. I wear one because I am on a medication that affects my heart rate. It is usually around 155bpm right after completing a set. Just wondering if that is typical or too high.

Thanks!

I have.

seems about right.

depends on level of effort, how many reps, and which lift.

Ok, cool. Thanks for responding. That's what it is when I am doing my work sets (3x5) for squat and deadlift.

Your age also affects this. I'm 67 and of course it tends to affect old guys like me more. Below is the chart from the FitBit Charge 2 I wear. The big peak after beginning are the 3 sets of 5 reps of the 355 lb. hip belt squats that led off that session.

Weights.jpg

I take Crestor for cholesterol, Diovan HCT and Terazosin for high blood pressure.

This is really helpful. Thank you!

Glad to have been of some help. I post these charts in my log in the General Training Logs.

I wear both a Fitbit Versa and a Polar Chest strap monitor. The two are withing a beat or 2 for average, but off by 10 to 20 for peak. The Versa also lags the chest strap by a noticeable amount. The chest strap is best if you are concerned about loss of pump efficiency at high rates, want to manage intervals by heart rate, or want to monitor recovery rate.

I have kept track of my average, peak, and total cardio time since I was prescribed a beta blocker for blood pressure several years ago (before weight and StartingStrength). The beta blocker made it impossible to use the normal numbers to get into aerobic cardio range. I had to adjust my targets downward by 10 or so beats. You may need to do the same. Its not complicated to do if you have good records, or talk to your doctor about the correction.

I no longer take the beta blocker, or most of my other geezer meds, since I started picking up heavy things. You may end up doing the same, depending on why you are taking meds.

When training my average heart rate runs 115 to 125. My peak heart rate for fitbit is 155 and 171 for chest strap.

I wear a Garmin Fenix3 HR with chest strap. Depending on your age, 155 is probably fine. Max HR is somewhat age dependent. What is usually of more concern than max is recovery time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryLohkamp View Post
    I wear both a Fitbit Versa and a Polar Chest strap monitor. The two are withing a beat or 2 for average, but off by 10 to 20 for peak. The Versa also lags the chest strap by a noticeable amount.

When training my average heart rate runs 115 to 125. My peak heart rate for fitbit is 155 and 171 for chest strap.
    This is interesting, and perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but my own experience with the Polar was that it typically read lower than the Charge 2.