starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hyperextensions in between deadlifts workouts?

Question Hyperextensions in between deadlifts workouts?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all, I'm kinda new to the SS program, I'm a novice but not a completly novice I've been training seriouly for about 3-4 months, I decided to give it a try to SS but I had one question, is it beneficial to do hyperextension the days I do not deadlift (Workout B), could this help me to progress in the main lifts?

1. You are a novice.
    2. No.
    3. No.

Quote Originally Posted by sgarciac View Post
    Hi all, I'm kinda new to the SS program, I'm a novice but not a completly novice I've been training seriouly for about 3-4 months, I decided to give it a try to SS but I had one question, is it beneficial to do hyperextension the days I do not deadlift (Workout B), could this help me to progress in the main lifts?
    As a novice you shouldn't have to worry about accessory work like this. If you get to the point as a post-novice that you find you have a weakness in areas that back extensions target, there are better accessories than bodyweight hypertrophy work that allow finer control over training variables like the intensity, volume, and tonnage.

Quote Originally Posted by coleossus View Post
    As a novice you shouldn't have to worry about accessory work like this. If you get to the point as a post-novice that you find you have a weakness in areas that back extensions target, there are better accessories than bodyweight hypertrophy work that allow finer control over training variables like the intensity, volume, and tonnage.
    Okay I will continue to do my normal workouts then, thanks.

Okay I will continue to do my normal workouts then, thanks.
    Tip for future, post-novice reference: I found rack pulls and barbell rows to be helpful deadlift assistance exercises.

To reiterate, I would not employ the use of these at your stage - only later once you've finished your SSLP.

Quote Originally Posted by coleossus View Post
    Tip for future, post-novice reference: I found rack pulls and barbell rows to be helpful deadlift assistance exercises.

To reiterate, I would not employ the use of these at your stage - only later once you've finished your SSLP.
    Nice, thanks man, I will try to implement them in some future.

Yes. Could help.
    On your 'B' day, I could see substituting some light hypers for power cleans.
    I just wouldn't go crazy with it.

- Additional volume.
    - Blood Flow/Recovery.
    - Variation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Yes. Could help.
    On your 'B' day, I could see substituting some light hypers for power cleans.
    I just wouldn't go crazy with it.

- Additional volume.
    - Blood Flow/Recovery.
    - Variation.
    I see, the thing it's that I already substituted power cleans for barbell row, it won't hurt doing 2-3 sets bodyweight at the end right?

I see, the thing it's that I already substituted power cleans for barbell row, it won't hurt doing 2-3 sets bodyweight at the end right?
    ah, didn't catch that you were doing the rows.

meh.... if you are doing the heaving-pendlay-barbell-row-things, those are more of a light deadlift. Probably skip the hypers.

bleh... If you are doing a super strict BB style row, and keeping your back in a nice isometric extension the whole set ... probably skip the hypers.

forget what I said and carry on.

starting strength coach development program
    Can't help but ask why rows instead of cleans.

You're 16, right? You ought to be able to clean or at least snatch. These both develop power off the floor, which will help the deadlift.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast