starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TM Programming Advice

Default TM Programming Advice

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Mark,

I just wanted to get some advice on setting up the TM and where to put assistance exercises. I searched the board but couldn't find all the info I wanted. Here's some background information:

I moved my squat to TM ten weeks ago. Other lifts still on LP; I'm just waiting for my bench and press to stall at the same time and I'll move them to TM too. I started LP on December 6 2010.

Bodyweight: 198lbs
    Height: 5'10

Current lifts in pounds (converted from kilos)

Squat: 407 x 5
    Press: 150 x 3 x 5
    Bench: 220 x 3 x 5
    Dead lift: 363 x 5 (I only started progressing my deadlift about three weaks after I started squatting. I also had some form issues such as opening back angle too soon which resulted in a reset. For the last few months it has been feeling really strong)

The assistance exercises I was thinking of implementing are:
    lying triceps extension, weighted chins/pulls. RDL, back extensions, weighted dips and your favourite; curls.

I was thinking of the following set-up when all my lifts are on TM (read as sets then reps):

Monday
    Squat: 5 x 5
    Bench/Press 5 x 5
    Weighted chins/weighted pull-ups

Tuesday
    Power cleans: 5 x 3
    RDL: 3 x 10
    Back extensions: 5 x 10

Wednesday
    Light squat: 2 x 5
    Press medium (would this be 90% of volume day weight?) 3 x 5/Bench light 2 x 5
    Curls: 3 x 10

Friday:
    Squat: x 5
    Bench/Press x 5
    Weighted dips: 3 x 5
    Lying triceps extension: 3 x 5

I like the idea of an assistance day on Tuesday opposed to doing things on Volume day as I'm feeling a bit fresher. Deadlifts on Friday have been going good as I'm still pumped up from adrenaline after the squats. I''m just concerned about a few things:

1. Does this look okay? Are there too many assistance exercises?
    2. Are the set/rep schemes for the RDL, dips and tricep extensions okay?
    3. Is 90% of volume day okay for wednesday's press?

Any advice appreciated. My goals are to just get stronger while adding some LBM. I'm happy putting a lot of time and resources into lifting. Also, here's a 5x5 squat video at 335lbs of mine from a couple of weeks ago if you don't mind checking my form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2349AuEMY4g

Cheers.

Where are your heavy pulls?

Damn it. I read over my post about 5 times and I still left something out. I have been doing my dead lift on the Friday for a set of 5 after squats since moving my squat to TM. So Friday will look like this:

Squat: x 5
    Dead lift: x 5
    Bench/Press x 5
    Weighted dips: 3 x 5
    Lying triceps extension: 3 x 5

I know you've recommended dead lift on volume day but the last 10 weeks has gone well doing them on the Friday after squats. It's just that I feel fresher after intensity squats than what I do after volume squats. I haven't tried them on the Monday though so I could always give it a go.

Looking at Friday's programme I'm thinking it does look likea bit much with all of dips, tricep extensions and deadlifts in there. I'm thinking either move the deadlifts to Monday or drop dips out of the programme.

Not 100% sure what's best. I'll appreciate any advice.

Other than that I'm just wondering about Wednesday's medium press. Is 90% of volume day wieght for 3 x 5 the right idea? And the squat www.youtube.com/watch?v=2349AuEMY4g. I noticed my left knee is moving around a bit. This doesn't usually happen.

Thanks.

Drop the dips and keep the deadlift where it is. Do the dips on Wednesday, and if your bench or press goes down drop the dips altogether.

Will there be a more in-depth discussion about setting up a TM routine in the next edition of PP or even a separate book about it?

You want a separate book on the Texas Method.

Have you thought about adding power shrugs? Maybe alternate weeks (Tuesday) with RDLs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    You want a separate book on the Texas Method.
    That's a no?

But seriously, what about the first part of my question?

A 3rd edition of PPST is not being planned.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by william_morris217 View Post
    Have you thought about adding power shrugs? Maybe alternate weeks (Tuesday) with RDLs?
    @ William and Rip I haven't really thought too much about power shrugs. I went with the RDLs because I thought it was probably more valuable in terms of helping my squat and deadlift, but maybe I am undervaluing the power shrug? Alternating the RDLs with power shrugs a good idea?

I've decided to drop the dips out of the program all together for now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast