Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RSI and Shoulder Strength

Default RSI and Shoulder Strength

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip

BACKGROUND
    I have work as a draftsman for many years and have ended up with RSI in my right shoulder from using a mouse for extended periods of time. This has had the effect of pulling my shoulder forward and up. I have relieved this in the past by avoiding the computer for several months while out of work.

My right shoulder girdle (the affected arm) is bigger than my left. I have been working to fix my form that I thought was favouring my smaller shoulder, but it is actually exposing my right shoulder as being weaker.

So, to sum up my right shoulder is bigger, suffering from RSI and weaker. I failed my intensity Bench yesterday as my shoulder just couldn't lift it. It was like being on half power. My right shoulder is nearly permanently pulled up and forward to protect itself. I've been trying to relax it but it is an ingrained habit, so may take a while to overcome

Any ideas on how to best rehabilitate my shoulder. I'm not currently drafting, so am avoiding that stimulus.

cheers
    Damian

What is RSI?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    What is RSI?
    Repetitive Stress Injury, typically used to refer to the injuries people get from doing the same fine motor task over and over and over. Carpal Tunnel, etc.

My guess is that OP needs to get a vicious massage or ten to loosen up his crunched up tissue, then focus on not allowing old physical habits to re-wreck his posture, while deadlifting and OH pressing more.

Fine. RSI. His shoulder is injured. Duh. What is the actual diagnosis? What specific structures are affected?

I would like to chip in with my 2p, which are probably going to be too late for OzDamo but might be of interest to other people.

I am a desk jockey by trade, so I spend all day, every day, using a mouse. In order to minimise the potential for RSI, I do the following:

- I alternate the hand I use. I'll use the mouse with my right hand on day, and with my left hand the next day. Always, every day, every week. Learning to use the mouse with the 'wrong' hand doesn't take much at all.

- I have put a CD case on the desk, left of my keyboard. Keyboards are not symmetrical. If you have the letter keys centered right in front of you, the keyboard will extend further to the right of your body center line than it will do the left, because of the pad with the number keys.
    If you leave it like that, the left hand will end up resting too close to the center line of your body compared to the right hand, an asymmetrical position that in the long run can have consequences on your shoulder.
    Adding a CD it's like having a numbers pad on the left. When your hands rest on the desk, they now be in a symmetrical position, which I think it's an improvement.

Hope this helps.

IPB

Superior migration of the humeral head is a result of rotator cuff laxity or RC structural degradation. The humeral head perceived generically as "the shoulder" having shifted anterior is a further indication of either damage or laxity in the RC. You need corrective strengthening exercises focusing on the shoulder's posterior and the lats while emphasizing corrective posture.

Maybe presses and chins.

Quote Originally Posted by GirthiestPiece View Post
    Superior migration of the humeral head is a result of rotator cuff laxity or RC structural degradation. The humeral head perceived generically as "the shoulder" having shifted anterior is a further indication of either damage or laxity in the RC. You need corrective strengthening exercises focusing on the shoulder's posterior and the lats while emphasizing corrective posture.
    This seems to say what I have. Full credit for verbal complexity.

Thanks All.

Yes, RSI stands for Repetitive Strain Injury. In my case that would be inward rotation of my shoulder for extended periods of time. I certainly wasn't aware of what was happening until too late. I've changed lines of work so not drafting anymore, but my residual "injury" is still there and flared up pretty bad last week. I have been stretching the front of my shoulder since, and that seems to help. I am habitually "tense" on my right side and am learning to relax. Seems to be helping, but it's early days on that one yet.

RIP, I was asking as I imagined you have worked with plenty of office workers over the years and might of come across something similar. My frustration lies in my right shoulder being significantly more buff inspite of its weakness when compared to my left shoulder. I figured it was a form issue on bench, as I was definitely imbalanced. Fixing that has only exaggerated my right shoulder problems. In my very untrained medically mind I had guessed that maybe a trapped nerve or something was impeding strength, and therefore my shoulder grew more to compensate. I previously had just figured the size difference was due to my right hand being my main hand, but this seems not to be the case. I'd like a suggestion for what types of things to check for or who might be a good professional to go to Chiro etc. Bolded as this is the real question.

My press is OK but my chinning ability sucks (coz I'm fat). I have been noticing lat strength affecting bench when I unrack it. I've also been activating them at the bottom in the bench to stop the bar moving over my face. This was the beginning of my recent woes with my shoulder, but I guess it's a journey I need to take to rectify things long term.

cheers
    Damo

Quote Originally Posted by OzDamo View Post
    RIP, I was asking as I imagined you have worked with plenty of office workers over the years and might of come across something similar.
    Actually, I have worked with many desk-jobbers over the years, and I have yet to see anyone whose shoulder just spontaneously decided to draw up into a useless mess. I sit at a desk quite a bit and work on my computer quite a bit, and I have never noticed a tendency toward "RSI" in either of my shoulders.

starting strength coach development program
    Really? What on Earth do you use a computer for? For lifting? Throwing? I'm just not seeing it.

Seriously, though... For the OP, try pulling your shoulder blades together and back when you are sitting (or standing). Get one of those nag apps to remind you every hour or so.
    Also, try to get a sit/stand desk and alternate positions several times a day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast