starting strength gym

Thread: squat form check- update

Default squat form check- update

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I posted this thread a couple months ago:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ck-newbie.html

I was going to update that thread, but it has been closed.

Here is a video from this week. I am now doing one heavy set of 5 the 2 lighter sets. I only recorded the first 2 sets of this workout. The first is with 235 lbs, the second with 205.

Questions- Obviously on the first set I am not quite deep enough. The third rep looks the best to me, rep 1 and 5 look the worst depth wise. Other than going deeper, are there any other mistakes? On the second set I feel like the depth is pretty good, do you agree? I feel like part of my struggle with getting below parallel on the heavy sets is just fear that I will get stuck at the bottom. This happened to me about a year ago when I was trying to get ass to grass with too much weight (I'm a recovering crossfitter). When I feel like it is too heavy my reflex is to stop short of parallel.

The good news is 2 months into SS now I am struggling to get deep enough with 235 instead of 185 in the first video I posted in August. Enough rambling-thanks in advance for the input. It is much appreciated.

IMG_4211 on Vimeo
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 10-27-2016 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Change vid embed to link

Yeah, depth on the first set is lacking. You go deeper on the second set, but this get compromised by letting your knees slide forward a little at the bottom. You are relaxing rather significantly at the bottom and flexing your spine on the ascent. Stay tighter, get deeper, and find a way to hold your back in extension. Can you voluntarily overextend your spine? You probably need to think about keeping your back arched on the way up. Also, get yourself some weightlifting shoes. I predict you will like them.

Thanks for the feedback. The spine flexion is obvious now that you point it out, but one of those things I miss when I look myself. I'm not sure I understand what you mean about my knees sliding forward. I will have to watch the video more carefully and try to pick up on that. Concentrating on keeping my chest down I think has caused me to neglect my back extension. Yes, I can voluntarily overextend my spine. I will work on concentrating on holding that extension. This is exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for. I am about a 4 hour drive from the nearest SS coach, so your help is incredibly valuable. Thanks again.