starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barbell upgrade

Default Barbell upgrade

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I really need to get a better barbell and some more plates for that matter. I ve seen some mention about Caps ob-86b and Caps ob-86pbck barbells. I ve heard good things about the B&R bar and have aslo seen that Rouge has I think one or two bars alittle less expensive that seem like they would work fine. I think the Ohio bar is one of them , I think. But there are some sales I ve seen the Cap on-86 power bar center knurl for under 200$ and ob-86 bar ( without center knurl) for 140$. My question is Does anyone have or use any of these bars? I mean I feel like it make sence to go with a bar with center knurling . But both if these are quite a bit less cost than a B&R but is it worth it? Anyone have either of these Caps bars? What experiences ? Are they junk? I am thinking that either one would be ok for what I am doing but would just like to hear any experiences if anyone has with these barbells.

The CAP OB86B (not the power version, which I haven't seen) can be had for just about $100.

I have two. The coating is so grippy, you'll never miss center knurl. It has fairly sharp knurl.

The Cap is not junk. Not at all. Though if you have $300, you should get something better.

I have the Ohio. I probably should have got the Ohio Power (thought I'm not sure it was out when I got the Ohio bar.)

There is a lot of discussion on bars in the Garage Gym thread. And there was a very recent thread called something like "what second bar should I buy".

Thanks I appreciate the input. So you don't miss the center knurl when back squatting cus for the money the bar looks decent for what I am trying to do, I just haven't held it yet. The specs. all look good on paper just no center knurl. I am thinking of spending about 50$ more and getting ob-86 power bar center knurl but then again if I am not going to miss the center knurl I could get the bar for less and put that 50 buck towards a belt or fractional plates but I am not gonna lie I am probly gonna make my own 1lb plates

And I will say I got a Cap half power rack and it's fine. I got it with tax and shipping for 95$. Squats, chin ups, overhead press. I slide a bench under it and I bench . No it's not a full power cage and no spotter arms but it's pretty sturdy and there's so much gunk out there that's so over priced. I like the Cap rack I have now it's seems like Cap makes some decent equipment especially for the price.

I spent $250 on the raw steel Ohio Power Bar. I have nothing but good things to say about it. If you don't need a new barbell immediately, you can check the boneyard on Rogue and will eventually find an Ohio Power Bar or B&R for about 25% off.

Boneyard OPB all day, they pop up pretty frequently. I'm a pretty bit proponent of the center knurl too.

so I just put my order in for Caps ob-86b, got it with a couple of spring collars for about 140$ and free shipping, said it would be here Saturday . I would have like to try Caps verision of this bar with the center knurl but it's was about 50 bucks more and some say not haveing center knurl when Squat is not that big of a deal, some say otherwise, I figure I ll save 50 bucks cus other than it not have center knurling the bar seems like it would work fine and ya can't beat the price. If I have to maybe wrap alittle tape around it and make my own knurling

I decided to go with the ob-86b Cap barbell and I ve only been useing it a week and one of the sleeves ends got slightly damaged during shipping but it doesn't seem significant . I gotta say for a 140$ barbell it's good, it mean it's probably worth more . I am not really squatting all that much now but I don't think not haveing center knurling will be that big a deal for me. I just gotta say I think this barbell will work just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Chris76 View Post
    I decided to go with the ob-86b Cap barbell and I ve only been useing it a week and one of the sleeves ends got slightly damaged during shipping but it doesn't seem significant . I gotta say for a 140$ barbell it's good, it mean it's probably worth more . I am not really squatting all that much now but I don't think not haveing center knurling will be that big a deal for me. I just gotta say I think this barbell will work just fine
    I've owned two Cap Beast bars for nearly two years now. I've been doing heavy rack pulls for several months now, bars are enduring the abuse along with my rack, which is a Titan T2 model. Both of these brands usually get referred to as "junk" from many fellow barbell enthusiasts. I've put them to the test, damn good for the price.

starting strength coach development program
    I currently own these 3 bars. Have no idea what kind the new one is. Got it for $85. Any ideas. I really like the feel of the bar.

The three bars.jpg

On the left is my Rogue B&R,
    middle is my Rogue Matt Chan

On the right is a surprisingly nice craigslist bar. It seems like a good squatting bar based on the layout. So it may replace my B&R, (I have a buyer for that).

Am I nuts to think this way? The only marking on the "craigslist bar" is 1000 stamped on the collar. This appears on both sides, on one side the first zero seems double stamped making it almost look like a "Q".

Bar tops.jpg

Bar ends.jpg

Appreciate anything you have to say.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast