starting strength gym

Thread: Strength regressing

Default Strength regressing

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have a problem these last few weeks where progress has stopped and I've actually gotten weaker. I've been running TM and progress was good until all of a sudden I hit a wall.
    Last week of progress had my ID lifts at:
    Squat: 145kg x1
    Bench: 102.5kg x5
    Dead: 140kg x5
    Press: 60kg x5
    Next week I reset squat to my last 5RM before running it out which was 130kg and it was a grinder. Barely made it. Tried 105 on bench and got 2. Tried 142.5 on dead and got 2. Decided maybe I had accumulated alot of fatigue and took a deload week with ID weights like this:
    Squat: 105kg x5
    Bench: 82.5kg x5
    Dead: 102.5kg x5
    This is a significant reduction in weight and although I got all the reps it felt like a ton of bricks. This was last week. This week I did VD squats with 102.5kg and it felt very heavy. ID was today and 115kg on squats was tough. I also did 115kg on dead and only got 2 reps! This makes no sense to me considering what my lifts were a month ago. Stats: 23 y/o male, 215 lb, 5'6", recovery is good which is why I'm confused. I eat 4000 Cal's a day, 200+g protein, 500g carbs, make sure I'm in bed 9pm every night religiously. Shoot for 10+ hours sleep but ALWAYS get at least 8. 9 months ago I was 140lbs. Started tracking food sleeping and running SS and have made great progress until now. Any help would be appreciated.

According to smarter people than I:

Lack of progression is typically undertraining.

Regression is typically overtraining.

Stop doing TM and do "the bridge"

I have heard good things about the bridge and am a big fan of jordans. I just went to his website, put in my email, and will take a look at his program

I figured it may have been overtraining which is why I took the deload. But maybe one week of reduced volume and intensity was not enough. Would you all recommend maybe taking a week off then starting the Bridge so that I go in fresh? Or just hop right in?

You could do another low-stress week if you think you need it, but the first week of the bridge is pretty low stress as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MWY View Post
    You could do another low-stress week if you think you need it, but the first week of the bridge is pretty low stress as well.
    I don't really know if I need it or not. I was feeling great and although I have always been sore and tired for a day or two after VD on TM by the time ID rolled around on Friday I have always felt fresh strong and ready to go. These last few weeks I have felt the same but when I load the weight up it feels heavier than it should and I can't get the reps I need to. I've never experience overtraining before but I thought I would actually FEEL fatigued
    Last edited by SD3; 09-01-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Misspelling

starting strength coach development program
    Sometimes fatigue is not a feeling but a lack of performance, this is indicating you are not recovered enough for the session you are attempting. Basicly that you did not stimulate appropriately for the timing that you wanted to exhibit intensity.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 09-01-2017 at 04:44 PM.