starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello coaches, need a critique for my deadlifts. This is 147.5kg/324.5lbs.

One obvious problem is my grip issue. I am using hook grip, but my left hand is causing issues and i need to make sure the skin of my palm is set properly so I will not fold it in mid set. Hence, the long setup time.

Have a good day.

You do an excellent job of holding your back in extension and your bar speed is very good. Hook grip is wonderful, but, as with all things in life, there are trade offs. It can hurt and you can pinch the skin of your thumb against the bar. If it takes you an extra moment to set your grip so that doesn't happen, that is not a problem. Right now, you are bringing your shins to the bar by rocking forward. This leaves your hips much too high. Right before you pull, you drop your butt significantly. That is not really what you want. Instead, stay in the middle of your foot and bend your knees until your shins touch the bar. Your butt will drop when this happens. You can think of it as dropping your butt until your shins touch the bar since you want to rock forward so far. When you set your back in extension, your butt should not drop since it will already be in the correct place. You may be pulling around your knees a touch, but I cannot say for sure from the rear oblique. Not bad overall, but see if you can fix your start position.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    You do an excellent job of holding your back in extension and your bar speed is very good. Hook grip is wonderful, but, as with all things in life, there are trade offs. It can hurt and you can pinch the skin of your thumb against the bar. If it takes you an extra moment to set your grip so that doesn't happen, that is not a problem. Right now, you are bringing your shins to the bar by rocking forward. This leaves your hips much too high. Right before you pull, you drop your butt significantly. That is not really what you want. Instead, stay in the middle of your foot and bend your knees until your shins touch the bar. Your butt will drop when this happens. You can think of it as dropping your butt until your shins touch the bar since you want to rock forward so far. When you set your back in extension, your butt should not drop since it will already be in the correct place. You may be pulling around your knees a touch, but I cannot say for sure from the rear oblique. Not bad overall, but see if you can fix your start position.
    Now i know why my squat is way stronger than deadlifts. I always felt in my low back while pulling before this. After reading your easy-to-understand explanation, reread the deadlift 5 steps setup again, i realized all I did this while was wrong.

After doing the correct steps (i think), i am surprised i dint really felt my low back at all and instead, more in the legs like it should be! I deloaded some weights and soon will be replying this thread with another form check video. Thanks coach. Have a good day!

Glad things worked out.