starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Training alone?

Default Training alone?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    What are your thoughts on training alone? Would using a power rack alleviate any concerns about getting in a jam?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    What are your thoughts on training alone? Would using a power rack alleviate any concerns about getting in a jam?
    Never bench alone unless you have a death wish.

And, I meant assuming you don't have a power rack. A power rack with the pins set correctly is different.
    Last edited by Tamara Reynolds; 08-09-2011 at 12:31 PM.

I often train alone, but I have access to a good power rack, so I don't worry.

If I didn't have a good power rack, I'd probably do dumbbell bench instead, and go for higher rep sets in the back squat.

I've always trained alone. I even bench alone, though sometimes I'll give someone a heads-up that I'm about to go for a heavy weight.

Nothing like that "either you get this or you're dead" feeling to drive you through a rep.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone View Post
    Never bench alone unless you have a death wish.
    I agree it's better to have a spotter (assuming (s)he knows what (s)he is doing), but if you know what you are capable of and don't overestimate your strength, you should be fine imo.

I always train alone. Just me and this shitty rack. Set your safeties correctly, take plenty of rest between sets, and you'll be fine. Don't do anything stupid like go for heavy singles; there isn't anyone to impress anyway, and if you're at the point where singles are actually useful, you'd be better off finding a gym.

Quote Originally Posted by IndividualThoughtPatterns View Post
    I agree it's better to have a spotter (assuming (s)he knows what (s)he is doing), but if you know what you are capable of and don't overestimate your strength, you should be fine imo.
    Tell that to the people who have dropped a bar on their throats.

Oh, wait. You can't.

They're dead.

Oh, wait. You can't.

They're dead.
    The yahoos at my gym wouldn't stop this, anyway. All they're good for is lunging forward and ruining a hard rep at the first sign of struggle. But that doesn't mean you're wrong -- just means my choice of gym is.

Oh, wait. You can't.

They're dead.
    Why are they lifting the bar from their neck then? Or using thumbless grip?

starting strength coach development program

Oh, wait. You can't.

They're dead.
    If someone uses good technique, the bar should never be over their face when the elbows are not locked out. If you miss a rep, the worst thing that will happen is the bar hitting your chest. If you don't have clips on, then you can dump the weight.

The reason I always use a spotter is to lift more weight. A lot of gym benches don't have adjustable hooks, so I burn a lot of energy trying to press the weight out of the rack. Having a liftoff is nice, and it is legal in competition... so why not use it? If I go solo, I move to the power rack and set the hooks pretty high. This makes it easier to get the weight into "benching" position.

I know some people use crappy technique, racking and unracking the bar with bent elbows, and pressing the bar over the top of their chest (BB style), but it is probably best to yell at those people and get them in the habit of lifting correctly. We do the same thing with squats, harping on good form, and we should do the same thing with bench.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast