starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gear/equipment for novice/intermediate

Default gear/equipment for novice/intermediate

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I live in Brazil but I'm spending a month here in the US. Considering it's very hard to find strength training equipment in Brazil, I'm planning on buying some equipment that might be useful in the future and of course stuff that might be useful now.

So far my potential shopping list includes:

-Shoes
    -Belt
    -Dip belt
    -Knee wraps
    -Wrist wraps
    -Bands (small ones, just in case I want to do some DE stuff later on so that the bar doesn't fly off my shoulders on squats for instance)
    -Singlet

I'm quite sure about getting the shoes, the belt and the dip belt, not so sure about the rest. I estimate I'm around halfway through my linear progression, but as I said I intend to buy stuff for the future as well.

The singlet is mostly because I already ripped a hole in two shorts while squatting, a singlet would make sure that doesn't happen anymore, although getting myself some stretchy shorts would be better and less awkward when I walk around the gym.

About the shoes, I'm not sure which one to get, I'm between the Rogue rips and the Inzer Pillar, any one who has any of those shoes could tell me what they think about them? I won't be doing weightlifting stuff, just low-bar squats etc...

That being said, what else do you folks recommend?

I'd recommend against a singlet for training purposes, unless you buy enough that they all stay clean..

If its just for training the only thing there I'd recommend is a belt. The other stuff seems for competition.

I dont like bands much either. Speed work is a bit gimmicky.

As for shoes I get more out of cons. A lot of people like weightlifting shoes though so go for it.

I'm from australia so I know what you mean about shit equipment. If it were me in america and I only had enough space to take back shit in a car or on a plane I'd probably get a texas power bar, as high quality bars at a good price are a bitch to come by. I'd also pick up some elitefts merch because its pretty cool but expensive once you factor in international postage.

What do you guys think about the belts at http://www.bestbelts.net/?

I was going to buy the Inzer economy belt but from what I've read Inzer's customer service sort of sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by cannibal.horse View Post
    If its just for training the only thing there I'd recommend is a belt. The other stuff seems for competition.

As for shoes I get more out of cons. A lot of people like weightlifting shoes though so go for it.

I'm from australia so I know what you mean about shit equipment. If it were me in america and I only had enough space to take back shit in a car or on a plane I'd probably get a texas power bar, as high quality bars at a good price are a bitch to come by. I'd also pick up some elitefts merch because its pretty cool but expensive once you factor in international postage.
    ABC Powerlifting Bar, 480$ and used by some of Australias best Powerlifters.

I've got one man, I just dont think they come in brazil

It's very tempting to get a nice bar as the ones at my gym such donkey balls, but all the decent ones cost at least 250 dollars. I am going to buy some t-shirts and shorts from elitefts though.

I've talked to my training partners, and they are thinking about contributing to buying the bar. Hopefully I will get myself a decent bar as the one at the gym started bending with my 300 pound deadlift, and has rubber sleeves.

At $350 US its not terribly expensive. You wont regret it

Curious what belt are you going to pick?

starting strength coach development program
    Speed work is a bit gimmicky.
    ??

You don't believe it's important to move the bar fast, or you just feel that actual speed work doesn't improve bar speed?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast