starting strength gym

Thread: Advance weight while working on form?

Default Advance weight while working on form?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey all,

I finally got a camera that I can film myself with to work on form. So.. My question is.. Should I continue to advance weight while working on form? Or is it better to keep weight constant while working out form issues?

I am still on pretty light weights.. 155# squat, 115# bench, 155# deadlift, 95# press, for example.

Thank you for your input.

-Tavis

yep dude. in fact, form improves as weight increases but only to some extent.

plus IMO one's true technique/form in an exercise can only be seen at a sub- but-near maximal weight. for if it is too light, it would be easy to keep proper form but if it is too heavy(max attempt) form breaks down 100% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrosis View Post
    Hey all,

I finally got a camera that I can film myself with to work on form. So.. My question is.. Should I continue to advance weight while working on form? Or is it better to keep weight constant while working out form issues?

I am still on pretty light weights.. 155# squat, 115# bench, 155# deadlift, 95# press, for example.

Thank you for your input.

-Tavis
    As far as I can tell from my own experience, you will continue increasing weight and improving form in tandem for quite some time. Sometimes you will find yourself suffering through the lifts, then you will go back and read the book, or video yourself, or whatever, and find out it was form, and you will race ahead for a few sessions with your improved form. Go do it!

Keep going up, especially at those weights, but be sure to keep working on form and not sacrifice form for weight as you keep increasing. If you're pushing 300 and you're cheating with everything you've got to get it up, then we need to talk.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the info. Will do.

Starting week 3 tomorrow. I'm excited to use the camera, and see what the heck I'm really doing under there.