starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check/belt question

Default Deadlift form check/belt question

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKDgacf16zo

I have trouble progressing consistently on Deadlifts because I always lose tightness in my back while pulling. I never stiff-leg the lift, but my back always handles some of the weight.

Older video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrdLWsn-Q8k

I find this odd, because I have absolutely no trouble keeping my back tight while Squatting - and the issue is that I'm Squatting 290 lbs 3x5.

As for belts, I can't seem to figure out how to use one while Deadlifting. When I put the belt on while standing up, it fits extremely tight. When I get into the starting position for a Deadlift, it goes loose and no amount of pushing my abs seems to tighten it up. It gets so loose it slides up my stomach and back.

That doesn't look terrible. I'm not sure what back issues you're seeing. Here are the things I'd work on:

1) Too much fidgeting and moving the bar during the setup.
    2) Too much fucking around between reps. Keep your hands on the bar, take a couple of breths, reset your back, and pull.
    3) Bar path might not be straight. Set up correctly with the bar against your shins and keep it against your body as you pull.

Quote Originally Posted by pantsaregood View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKDgacf16zo

I have trouble progressing consistently on Deadlifts because I always lose tightness in my back while pulling. I never stiff-leg the lift, but my back always handles some of the weight.

Older video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrdLWsn-Q8k

I find this odd, because I have absolutely no trouble keeping my back tight while Squatting - and the issue is that I'm Squatting 290 lbs 3x5.

As for belts, I can't seem to figure out how to use one while Deadlifting. When I put the belt on while standing up, it fits extremely tight. When I get into the starting position for a Deadlift, it goes loose and no amount of pushing my abs seems to tighten it up. It gets so loose it slides up my stomach and back.
    Deadlifts are hard, and keeping your back locked down while doing them is hard. You should feel it in your back. That said, I don't see any rounding, except at the end of lowering the rep--keep your chest up all the way down! You're probably taxing yourself by standing there with the bar for five minutes at the top of the rep. I would say do the lift, stand it up proper like you're doing, and then set it right back down. No need to waste energy hanging around with the bar.

Regarding the belt, I find mine feels a little looser DLing than squatting also. If I focus on keeping my abs against the belt as I get into position, the belt will usually stay put pretty well. If I try to squeeze against it after getting into the starting position, it doesn't work so well, although I still get something out of it, as the reps always feel better than they did beltless. If yours is sliding up, perhaps you need to start it further down, or angle it down from back to front, or wear it tighter for deads.

Johnny Pain told me that squatting with a belt is like D-bol....you KNOW it's working.

Deadlifting with a belt is like creatine, you don't really notice it working, but trust that it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatson View Post
    Johnny Pain told me that squatting with a belt is like D-bol....you KNOW it's working.

Deadlifting with a belt is like creatine, you don't really notice it working, but trust that it is.
    johnny pain is kewl.

sig material right there