starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems while squatting with new belt

Default Problems while squatting with new belt

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Just got my new Elitefts 13mm belt (thanks to Carlos Daniel who brought it from USA) and I'm currently in the process of breaking its stiffness.

Today I tried to squat wearing the belt and I found it difficult to keep abs pressing against it (internal pressure) while keeping proper lower back extension in bottom part of squat. Is this a new skill I will develop, since I've never worn a belt before and before I was kind of sucking my abs in while squating?

Also I'm quite unsure about the optimal placement of the belt, and I"m finding quite difficult to keep it above hipbones and below the ribs, I'm 5'11". Do you have any tips? What about the belly button in relation to the belt placement?

Oh, btw, do you keep the prong forward?

Thanks guys

Prong forward. Might need a little more breaking in before it's right. Should probably wear it one rung tighter if this is the case, but might not be broken in enough yet to do so. Mine is centered over belly button, I think. To see where it should go, wear a little loose, squat down into hole, and see where it ends up. Might need a little adjustment from there, but it's a start.

Something like that will just feel awkward for a little while. It's part of the process of moving to a nice thick belt like the EFTS one.

I'm 5'9" and don't have much trouble keeping it between the bottom ribs and the hips but it may take a while before you find where it rides nicely. You'll probably end up wearing it tighter as you progress as well.

As far as the belly button, the top one-half to one inch of the belt covers it. Makes a nice landmark once you figure out where the belt rides well, as yours may very well be in a different place with respect to the belt than mine.

The prong should lie against the roller of the buckle when it's on. If you have trouble getting it there, again, it's part of the joy of a new belt. You'll get there.

When I first got my 13mm elitefts belt, I couldn't for the life of me get the motherfucker buckled, it was so fucking hard. Never mind getting the end of the belt through the loop. I was afraid of getting stuck in it the first dozen times I wore it. I shit you not.

Head on over to 70sbig.com and you'll find some good stuff on how to break in a new belt. Surely they have that fancy "search function" over there.

I found that mine was hitting my legs in the bottom of the squat and getting moved.

Quote Originally Posted by MEbigUsmall View Post
    I found that mine was hitting my legs in the bottom of the squat and getting moved.
    It happed to me also.

That means to wear it a little higher, maybe a little tighter, and maybe spread your knees a little more. Some of this stuff just gets natural with practice.

hey thanks guys, will follow your advices on wednesday's workout

Quote Originally Posted by fellipe View Post
    It happed to me also.
    I had that same feeling on my first belted workout. I put it tighter and ended up getting used to it. I find that the belt seems more "efficient" when it's as tight as possible, less than that and it does more harm than good. But that's just me.

When I first got my 13mm elitefts belt, I couldn't for the life of me get the motherfucker buckled, it was so fucking hard. Never mind getting the end of the belt through the loop. I was afraid of getting stuck in it the first dozen times I wore it. I shit you not.
    This happened to me. My first week with my 13mm belt, I finished a set of deadlifts and I was so gassed that I had to rest a minute before extracting myself from the belt.

I broke it in using the info from 70'sbig, and it is fairly easy to get on and off now.

starting strength coach development program
    As fellipe said, I brought his belt from the US recently. The damn thing was so stiff that I spent a good 5 minutes trying to get it off after putting it on. It required quite a beating to break it in and it is still far from really broken in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast