starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlift - Chalk, Straps, Concrete?

Default Deadlift - Chalk, Straps, Concrete?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,

I did my 5th deadlift workout today and pulled 110kg x 5. I'm using a hook grip, however the last 2 reps really sucked, the grip on my non-dominant hand failed. I briefly reset the grip after each rep, however by the top of each lift on those final two, I was only holding on with the middle of my fingers.

One of the staff said that it was fine if I use chalk, but he's only one of the junior plebs.

Should I try chalk, or skip to straps, or just chug some concrete and harden up a little? Edit: Or maybe I'll try mixed grip next time.

I don't want my deadlift progression to stall because I can't hold the weight.
    Last edited by ssau; 09-02-2010 at 04:05 AM.

Get chalk and use it generously. A block costs very little and usually lasts for months. There's really no good reason not to use it.

I personally try to DL using a regular grip as much as possible. In practice, I need to go to a mixed grip on the last few reps in the a workset of five. Grip strength increases quicker when no straps are used. I'll personally stay off straps until I really need it, i.e. when even a mixed grip is insufficient.
    Last edited by Pjotor; 09-02-2010 at 04:30 AM.

Get chalk

Thanks guys. Chalk it is. It looks like there's a local store with blocks for $8.

Chalk and mixed grip.

Chalk will make a world of difference, I suggest not using the hook grip at this point either. You need to work on your grip strength. If it's really that weak to where it holds your lift back just use the hook or alternate grip only when you have to on your heavy sets. Even using a standard grip and re-gripping between reps would be better though. And one or two down sets with a standard grip after your heavy set would help as well.

With chalk I'm using double-overhand on 325 and I'm a weakling with computer programmer's hands. Grip it like you're trying to crush it.

If the effect of chalk on my deadlift is anything like the effect of proper shoes on my squat, I'll be set for a while.

Unchalked, my deadlift failed earlier than yours. I got chalk and progressed 140lbs more so far (obviously with grip improving in the mean time). You will be set for quite some time and the cost is nil.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    Chalk and mixed grip.
    agreed,
    static holds with overhand, underhand and mixed to help bring your grip up. either as limited partials or with smith machine

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast