Default Switching to high-bar (Maybe): Questions

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Stats
    Low-Bar Squat: 370# x 1
    Dead-lift: 465# x 5
    Press: 200 x 1
    Bench: 250# x 5
    PC: 225# x 10 x 2 (New at these) (Edit: Actually 5 x 2 at the time)

I am thinking about switching to high-bar squats. My only real concern is that my other lifts will get weaker at first. Is that possible or is that a dumb thing to think? I am worried about my dead-lift manily.

I want to switch because I like high-bar better. Feels like a better movement to me but I have really long legs.
    Last edited by Forthright; 11-14-2012 at 03:01 AM.

Eugene Guest

Is your low bar stalling? Why did you decide to switch it all of the sudden? Saying you have really long legs usually just means that you have weak, skinny legs, FYI

Eugeue

I recently switched to high-bar and also noticed that it feels better. I doubt your other lifts will get weaker as long as you have a good program behind them.

I recently switched to high bar and had to take a ton of weight off and it felt awkward as hell at first. But I also massively increased my volume and decreased my rest times. But I've done it for a few weeks now and it's starting to feel good .

It will feel a bit awkward at first with heavier weights, but once you adapt to the movement I think you will find that you won't lose much if any off of your top end strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin Warrior View Post
    It will feel a bit awkward at first with heavier weights, but once you adapt to the movement I think you will find that you won't lose much if any off of your top end strength.
    That is what I have been finding thus far. I am doing my heaviest sets with knee wraps (I did this for low bar too), and I am pretty sure I can tie my old low bar PR right now. I am still ramping up a little more every week to make sure I keep solid form.

My deadlift continues to climb, so I don't think high bar squatting has set that back any.

In my opinion you may need to add in some RDLs to get a bit more posterior chain work but only do that if the deadlift starts stalling. The goal should almost be to do as little work as possible to get results. No point in adding in pointless accessory exercises.

lebronjames Guest

YES! You should switch. HBBS + Dead Stop SLDLS = Strong Motherfucker.

I have switched to high bar since August as I have a back injury that prevents me from low bar squatting (but not deadlifting, oddly - and thankfully!), and this coupled with my previous experience in doing high bar (ran it for a few months a few years ago), has led me to the following observations.

Firstly, both styles of squat transfer to each other quite well, because they're not a million miles apart... you put the bar on your back, shove your knees out and sit down. Secondly, the low bar squat helped my deadlift more than the high bar squat, probably because of the greater hamstring involvement. And lastly, the low bar squat takes a lot more out of you - after excruciatingly difficult low bar squats I was unable to do any effective upper body work afterwards, whereas the same is not true for the high bar squat.

Your mileage may vary.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Forthright View Post
    I am thinking about switching to high-bar squats.
    What are your goals?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast