starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rack and horse stall mat setup

Default Rack and horse stall mat setup

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been using my power rack on a poured concrete floor and figured out I need mats. I gather that I should cut the mat to fit inside the rack, instead of putting the rack on a full mat, but I'm not optimistic that an Xacto knife is going to get it done. What works? Jigsaw? What kind of blade? Any tips on the best place for joints between two mats, or stuff to keep the edges level?

I used a jigsaw. You can cut them on the floor with a board under the edge you're cutting to give clearance for the blade. If possible try not to have a joint in the middle of the power rack or if you do, have it down the middle.

Jig saw was a pain in the ass for me. Circular saw went through them like butter.

Why don't you want to put the rack on the mat?

Hmm...if you're making a project of it why not build a platform insert style thing?

some ideas about config options:
    http://www.power-lift.com/olympiclifting-platforms.htm

To be more specific, you don't actually want mat in the rack, you want it outside the rack but need something inside to keep things level. (and you prob want plywood under the mat ayway). unless i'm missing the whole point here.
    Last edited by veryhrm; 11-30-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnys View Post
    I've been using my power rack on a poured concrete floor and figured out I need mats. I gather that I should cut the mat to fit inside the rack, instead of putting the rack on a full mat, but I'm not optimistic that an Xacto knife is going to get it done. What works? Jigsaw? What kind of blade? Any tips on the best place for joints between two mats, or stuff to keep the edges level?
    I cut mine with an Xacto. EZPZ

I used a brand new Lowes Kobalt titanium nitrided blade utility knife. Like a hot knife through hot rubber. I did not count it as an assistance exercise for the week.

I used a jigsaw with an old, wood, fast cut blade. Measured, snapped a chalk line, propped it on a 2x4 for clearance and cut. The jigsaw cut about the same speed as cutting through plywood.

I can't really imagine doing it with an Xacto knife (if you mean those little hobby razor knives). A carpet knife maybe.
    Last edited by Brian Harlin; 11-30-2012 at 11:46 PM.

I used a utility knife. It took two passes with the blade.

http://www.humanemfg.com/Flooring.pdf
    How to trim the sides:
    1) The mats are easy to cut. A good utility knife with a sharp blade will do the job nicely, a jig saw works well, or a reciprocating saw.
    2) You might want to have a can of WD-40 handy. The WD-40 (on the blade only) gives the utility knife lubricant, to help cut through the rubber better. (Caution: when using WD-40, the lubricated knife will cut through the rubber with NO problem,
    be careful not to cut yourself )
    3) Another helpful hint is to place a wooden 2 x 4 under the mat along the line of the intended cut creating an arch. By
    cutting along this arch, the mat will have a tendency to split and pull apart more easily as the knife is pulled through.

Some rubber may reacts with WD40, silicone spray could be a better alternative.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks all for the tips. I'll post results/lessons learned here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast