starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Louie Simmons on the Deadlift

Default Louie Simmons on the Deadlift

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Recorded before Benedikt Magnússon upped the record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgF-NhHJMYc

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I love these videos. Although "...'roids don't make you any better, you gotta have it up here". Well that's demonstrably false but the general idea, I'm in support. I think what he should have said is "....'roids will help but to be the best you need to have it up here also"

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Recorded before Benedikt Magnússon upped the record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgF-NhHJMYc
    Context is everything, though. I was just re-listening to Rip's interview with Marty Gallagher, and took away that big lifts at lower body weights are more impressive and important feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Context is everything, though. I was just re-listening to Rip's interview with Marty Gallagher, and took away that big lifts at lower body weights are more impressive and important feats.
    I disagree when it comes to the deadlift. It seems like the least effected by body weight. In some cases, like John Kuc, his deadlift went up when he lost weight. When you are looking at world record pull like 1015, it is impressive no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I disagree when it comes to the deadlift. It seems like the least effected by body weight. In some cases, like John Kuc, his deadlift went up when he lost weight. When you are looking at world record pull like 1015, it is impressive no matter what.
    ^ No Doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I wonder if this is because being heavier does not improve ones leverages on the deadlift, but is substantially beneficial for the squat and bench. Long ass monkey arms like I have help on the deadlift also, I think. Bench press, not so much.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Got2squat View Post
    I wonder if this is because being heavier does not improve ones leverages on the deadlift, but is substantially beneficial for the squat and bench. Long ass monkey arms like I have help on the deadlift also, I think. Bench press, not so much.
    Yes, I think that is a big part of it. I am sure when Kuc was 300#, the gut made it harder to get set right. Also having bigger legs, especially in the front, means you are dragging the bar through some fluff to get a lockout. Being leaner definitely makes it easier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast