starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Steadily Going Down

Default Deadlift Steadily Going Down

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    My deadlift is steadily going down. All my other lifts are going up. My latest squat was 310x5x3, and yet my deadlift is many pounds less than my squat. Something's gotta be jacked up. This was only 275 and it should have been easy. The deadlift is making me so frustrated I don't want to even continue the rest of my workout. Any feedback is appreciated. Hopefully something is messed up big time in my form.

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    Hopefully something is messed up big time in my form.
    I don't think I've ever seen/heard someone say this before, but I know what you're getting at. If it's an obvious form flaw that can be quickly fixed, it should be able to start moving back up again right away. As opposed to a potentially more complicated programming issue.

Quote Originally Posted by amsgator View Post
    Alas, video is private.

Should be up now. Sorry about that. I fail again!

I think your weight's on your toes a bit as you get set up. Can't tell if you've got the bar directly over mid-foot or not from this angle. What's your current programming? Texas Method?

better music and a little passion would probably help

From the angle of your video it looks like:

1) Your shoulders are a bit too far in front of the bar and you seem to be ahead of your midfoot when you raise your chest, shoulders should be "slightly in front", rock back off of your toes and onto your midfoot or cue midfoot/heels (exaggerated cue).

2) Your back is not properly set, I can tell by the lack of wrinkles in your shirt, you still have a lot of "squooze" left in you, pull the slack out of the bar or show off your boobs!

3) You seem to have an arm bend/hitch, on some reps, stop that! Think of your arms as long taut ropes attached to the bar, push the Earth away!

4) You're exaggerating lockout at the top/humping the bar. Ignore the attractive female/male (I'm not judging..) in front of you and just stand up straight with your chest up!

Coaches will correct me, if any of my observations are off.

PS Don't do drugs...

Skillin, Tom, and Kakarot pretty much cover it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I think your weight's on your toes a bit as you get set up. Can't tell if you've got the bar directly over mid-foot or not from this angle. What's your current programming? Texas Method?
    I was doing TM but switched back to advanced novice after the seminar in VA (and its critiques) and have been making steady progress again on everything except DL.

Not surprisingly I was told I was on my toes there as well. I've been trying to get off them but it would appear I haven't been successful. I'm pretty sure the bar is over the mid-foot, based on the critiques I got at the seminar. Being on my toes has steadily been a problem that I've been working on, but apparently I need to work on it more.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tdood View Post
    better music and a little passion would probably help
    Damn Spotify playlist.