starting strength gym

Thread: Is this dumb?

Default Is this dumb?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/ti...quat-stand-ups

I immediately thought this was dumb, then reconsidered and agreed with it, and now I don't know if it's smart, dumb or just pointless.

If you don't want to click through, it's essentially saying that a decent way to increase weight in a squat is to get used to getting 1rm max + 10%, 20%, etc off the rack and standing under it for 8-10 seconds a few times. The idea being that after standing under huge weight, squatting your usual workout weights will feel lighter.

Thoughts?

Just squat....?

Only thing I can see this really doing is getting you used to handling heavy weights. But, squat heavy and that solves the problem too.

Quote Originally Posted by Middle-aged Dad View Post
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/ti...quat-stand-ups

I immediately thought this was dumb, then reconsidered and agreed with it, and now I don't know if it's smart, dumb or just pointless.

If you don't want to click through, it's essentially saying that a decent way to increase weight in a squat is to get used to getting 1rm max + 10%, 20%, etc off the rack and standing under it for 8-10 seconds a few times. The idea being that after standing under huge weight, squatting your usual workout weights will feel lighter.

Thoughts?
    Some people like walk outs. Some don't

Go check out the Squat Stand-Ups thread dawg. This has already been covered by the SS coaches.

Walk outs and overloads are a modality I tend to reserve for more advanced lifters, though I have used them for psychological purposes on less advanced lifters at times. I don't find them particularly helpful for most people.

I've tried them on a few training cycles, and I am not sure if they really helped. In a way I am already walking out an overloaded squat if I have wraps on. So every time I squat I am walking out something that is 60# heavier or so than a normal work set. If someone had issues getting set up correctly to walk the bar out, then they might be useful. But for me practicing the lift alone was enough. If I do my setup right, the bar doesn't feel all that heavy on my back. It is balanced right and my back is set correctly. If you are already rounded walking it out, then you are going to have problems coming out of the hole.

A couple of guys at my gym (old timers) insist on doing heavy walkouts often. For them though, it seems to be a case of getting used to the idea of moving towards handling weights they handled when they were younger. Like the Doc says, it's a good psychological tool for those who really need it, but useless for most of us outside the aforementioned examples and lifters in the more advanced stages.

It's not dumb - it may or may not be appropriate, but it's not dumb.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't think it's dumb. Fred Hatfield has a program that adds these for squat and bench at the end of volume work. The first time I tried a heavy single the air simply got crushed out of me. This was quickly adapted to, but from that experience I got the impression there is a place for 110%-120% walkouts.