starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New black-iron gym in Seattle Area

Default New black-iron gym in Seattle Area

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    If you're been praying for a Seattle area black-iron gym with easy access, flexible scheduling, ample equipment, and reasonable rates...your prayers have been answered.

Stumbled across EGO Strength and Performance on FB last week. Dropped in yesterday and signed up immediately.

Gym is located near Alderwood mall in Lynnwood, off Evergreen way. In an industrial area warehouse. Very similar feel and layout to Duffin's Elite Performance Center in PDX (albeit, a touch smaller).

Equipment compliment includes:

• Texas Power and Deadlift bar(s)
    • Multiple DL platforms
    • Duffalo bar (played around with this - very nice)
    • Elite FTS SSB
    • Cambered squat bar (Sorinex)
    • Several Titan Power Cages (h/t Hanley - I was very impressed with these)
    • Several bench setups including Rogue Westside bench with Thompson fat pad
    • Several Thompson Fat Pads
    • Prowler track
    • Vertical leg press (apparently these are hard)
    • Chest supported row
    • Dip stand
    • Universal power thingy (cable rows, lat pulls, etc.)
    • Dumbbells (the nice ones rip uses)

...a bunch of other stuff I haven't listed. Sounds like the owner has plans to continue adding to his compliment of gear.

Membership is $45/mo. Keycode access. Train when you'd like. Plenty of parking. Apparently evenings are pretty electric. I trained in the morning after work and there was one other dude. Also, they have an amplifier with iPod connection. Loud music is encouraged.

Hope to see you there. It's about a 15-20 minute drive from Seattle. Unless you live in the bowels of Ballard. Then it's 90 minutes.

(pics are during move-in...more stuff now)

Last edited by Travis Rask; 01-09-2016 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks for the info. Did you try the Duffalo bar for benching? I was looking for a bar to help me ease back into benching and heard good things about it.

Does anyone know what material is in the Thompson fat pad? I wonder how easy it would be to just make one.

Hot damn! Unfortunately I do live in the bowels of Ballard. But we might move in the next 1-2 years...

Do you know by any chance if they allow drop-ins? I'm sometimes up that way and I'd love to train there if my schedule allows.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    Thanks for the info. Did you try the Duffalo bar for benching? I was looking for a bar to help me ease back into benching and heard good things about it.
    Not yet. Probably will at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by anniemichael View Post
    Hot damn! Unfortunately I do live in the bowels of Ballard. But we might move in the next 1-2 years...

Do you know by any chance if they allow drop-ins? I'm sometimes up that way and I'd love to train there if my schedule allows.
    Yeah, it's on the website IIRC.

Callador, do you live in Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Rask View Post
    Callador, do you live in Seattle?
    No, I live in WI. Otherwise I would stop by and check it out. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I'm not sure extending the ROM at the bottom of a bench press is going to be useful for most people.

Vid of playing around with Duffalo bar. First time doing LBBS in over a year.

Last edited by Travis Rask; 01-11-2016 at 01:34 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by OCG View Post
    I'm not sure extending the ROM at the bottom of a bench press is going to be useful for most people.
    Useful to the injury, yes I do sort of agree on that piece depending on what the injury is. Useful for training, I think having an increased ROM could help here. Mike Bridges had the same idea many years ago with his bar. We actually have one at our gym. Most people use it for shrugs. I read that the grip angle difference can help for some people using the Duffalo bar. I actually tried to imitate it by using the suicide grip on a normal bar. You can really tuck your elbows in more this way, but I found that I actually have more pain touching the bar lower, even though the ROM is reduced slightly because of my gut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast