starting strength gym

Thread: Favorite split

Default Favorite split

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    What kind of training splits do yall find most successful after novice linner progression? I'm running a 4 day heavy day/light day. Each major lifts is trained 1x hard and 1x light. I have been getting some good progess on this in past 8 weeks. I have also herd good things about the HLM split, but I feel I couldn't handle a heavy day of all 3 main compound lifts and would need to chop it up through the week. What have yall had the most success with?

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin727 View Post
    What kind of training splits do yall find most successful after novice linner progression? I'm running a 4 day heavy day/light day. Each major lifts is trained 1x hard and 1x light. I have been getting some good progess on this in past 8 weeks. I have also herd good things about the HLM split, but I feel I couldn't handle a heavy day of all 3 main compound lifts and would need to chop it up through the week. What have yall had the most success with?
    You can do the heavy day per lift on separate days, it doesn’t all have to be done heavy one day. Heavy light worked the best so for ss programs

I agree that a HLM is very tough when all heavy lifts are stacked into one workout. I’ve been using HLM like Johnsonville described instead and I am very happy with it.

Honestly, I think 3 and 4 day templates can both be arranged productively. Part of the question is your own schedule, how much time you can spend in the gym and likelihood of compliance.

Then you evaluate based on progress and how your body feels (e.g ready for more vs. complete beaten up). When those things are aligned, you’re making good programming choices.

HLM is great after LP. Once your H day starts to get too heavy or too time consuming, you can switch to a 4 day structure like this

day 1 -H squats, DL
    day 2- H bench
    day 3 off
    day 4- L squats and press, chins
    day 5-off
    day 6- M day squat, cg bench, pull variant
    day 7 off

Quote Originally Posted by cole205 View Post
    HLM is great after LP. Once your H day starts to get too heavy or too time consuming, you can switch to a 4 day structure like this

day 1 -H squats, DL
    day 2- H bench
    day 3 off
    day 4- L squats and press, chins
    day 5-off
    day 6- M day squat, cg bench, pull variant
    day 7 off
    Is this enough volume for the press and bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Corey Laxton View Post
    Depends on number of sets.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Corey Laxton View Post
    depends on the individual. an advanced trainee that is closer to his genetic potential and who is trying to inch out a few more gains, no. a relatively new trainee, or a 40 yr old program hopper like me that has previous strength to gain back, yes. actually i would argue that 95% of trainees (other than novices) could make decent progress by benching 2x and pressing 1x per week.

i have no idea who you are or where you are in your training cycle and im not a coach so keep that in mind.