starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems with deadlift

Default Problems with deadlift

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    As a start, I'm a 22 years old male, weighing 115 kg, 6'4", 29-30% body fat, been doing SSLP for the last two months.
    I have the Addison's disease and due to this I was feeling terrible (loss of appetite, feeling weak during my workouts) during the previous week, probably because of incorrect dosage of my meds, but that's besides the point.

My deadlift has always been very close to my squat, the difference being 5-10 kilos.

Last monday I was squatting 105 kilos, managed only to do 5/5/3 and deadlifted 110 kgs. Then I skipped two workouts because I was sorting out my health issues and wasn't feeling well, I was eating poorly too. As i felt better, last sunday I decided to lower my weights for the day a bit to the ones I managed to lift previously, so 102,5 kg on squat (which I managed to do) and 110 kg on deadlift. I only managed to do two reps. I decided to repeat the DL on the Wednesday, as there was no way I couldn't recover from two reps, right? So my squats went well and during my deadlift I felt really weak, I rested 10-15 seconds between the work reps and during the last one my form was shit.

I'm wondering what to do, am I just not built for the deadlift and I should lower my weight and go from there; or if there's something I missed.

I didn't record my deadlifts and I'm definitelly gonna do that next time just for you to check if I'm doing them correctly. And I'm doing them with the straps (my gym doesn't allow chalk), so grip shouldn't be the issue. And I'm not using a belt, I bought one but fat on my gut makes using it really uncomfortable when at the bottom of the squat and the deadlift.

My bench is 60 kg and my press is 40, if that's important.

I any of you have any insights, I'd be very grateful.

Post a deadlift video.

You need to post your squats and deadlift. A distorted squat/deadlift ratio with your numbers usually mean either:
    1. High squats.
    2. Form issues in the deadlift.

I'm guessing high squats for the record.

I would love to hear from someone with a better understanding of pharmaco-dynamics than me how exogenous cortisone would impact the SRA-cycle and training long-term.

Alright, but should I try deadlifting 115 kg on my next deadlift day, or better do 110 again? And I can deadlift 60-80 kilos on my next power clean day if it might be any useful

Show us 110kg, but do not "rest between reps" like you said here: "So my squats went well and during my deadlift I felt really weak, I rested 10-15 seconds between the work reps and during the last one my form was shit."

Take one new breath and do the next rep until all 5 are done.

Have you been doing 5kg increments this entire time for deadlift?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Yeah, apart from one situation when I recorded myself deadlifting 100 kg, my friend coach pointed out that my form was bad (because it was, the barbell didn't touch my legs during the pull) and I deloaded 5 kgs because I was really struggling

Alright, here's my form check. Sorry for the quality.

1st squat set
    2nd squat set
    3rd squat set

deadlift work set

Deadlift: the bar needs to be closer to your shins. It should be about 1” away from your upright shin. Also you are dropping your hips and kicking the bar forward. Once you get the bar in the right spot, when you bring your shins to the bar you must not move the bar at all.

Your upper and lower back are not nearly tight enough before the pull. You need to lift your chest so hard that the bar starts to bend upward Listen for the clicking of the bar against the sleeves. Then you need to drop you belly between your thighs to get your low back tight.

Once everything is tight, drive your heels through the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    I agree with Eric.

For squats, you are squatting waaayy too deep, you need to lean forward more, and place the bar lower on your back. I think you should take some time to read the blue book, and watch some videos. You can start with this one: How to Low Bar Squat With Mark Rippetoe | The Art of Manliness - YouTube

Film your warmups and practice your form, if you feel confident you could keep adding weight to your squats as usual. If you stop squatting so deep you will be able to add a considerable amount of weight to the bar.

Hope this helps and come back with a new form check after your next workout!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast