starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check please

Default Deadlift form check please

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I apologise about the quality, I've been trying to take a good video for weeks but this is the best I could do and in the end I figured something is better than nothing.

DL 120kg - YouTube

Note: I almost lost my overhand grip on the first rep (you can see if you look closely), which is why I didn't go all the way to the top. From the second rep I use an alternate grip, 2nd and 3rd rep ok but then again almost dropped the bar on the 4th rep. So for the last rep I tried to switch hands (right hand under instead of over, left over instead of under), but the bar wouldn't move and I was like fuck it I'm done. Than I manned up and did that fucking last rep anyway.

Grip: use chalk.

1) You are dropping your hips when trying to set your back. Keep your hips up, and instead rotate your chest up through your shoulders (show your tits to the wall in front of you). 2) You are jerking the bar off the ground, which is bad. Instead, when you rotate your chest up, also take the slack out of the bar, then squeeze the bar off the floor; do not jerk it off the floor. 3) Between the lowering of the hips, failure to properly set your back, and jerking it, your low back is rounding (which is bad).

Don't crane your neck up. Keep it head focused on a spot 3-4 feet in front of you on the floor. You didn't lock out on any of the lifts. Make sure to lock out.

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDave View Post
    Grip: use chalk.

1) You are dropping your hips when trying to set your back. Keep your hips up, and instead rotate your chest up through your shoulders (show your tits to the wall in front of you). 2) You are jerking the bar off the ground, which is bad. Instead, when you rotate your chest up, also take the slack out of the bar, then squeeze the bar off the floor; do not jerk it off the floor. 3) Between the lowering of the hips, failure to properly set your back, and jerking it, your low back is rounding (which is bad).
    Squeezing my chest up is the cue I'm trying to follow. I guess I have to squeeze it more?

Not sure that I can avoid dropping hips a little. Otherwise how can I reach the bar? My back is very tight, when I try to touch my feet while my legs are straight, my hands only reach the knees.

Also not sure what you mean by "jerking" the bar. I'm replacing it over the midfoot between reps for sure. What else is wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    Don't crane your neck up. Keep it head focused on a spot 3-4 feet in front of you on the floor. You didn't lock out on any of the lifts. Make sure to lock out.
    Got it and got it. Neck up is a crutch to get my chest up, should be able to do it without.