starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    This is my first post on the forums. I have been doing Starting Strength for 15 weeks now, and have sorted out my form problems with all my other lifts. However, I am still having trouble with my squat.

This is my first set at 190lbs. I failed after one rep during each of sets 2 and 3, due to extreme tightness and pain in the right groin.

I have previously squatted 200lbs, but had to reset due to very bad form and a second time due to the same groin pain.

I'd appreciate any help you can provide. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uPAlmKRhU0

Is there something wrong with my form that could be causing the pain?

Thanks for your help.

34y/o
    Ht: 5'11"
    BW: 198lbs (up from 165lbs)

I repeated the same weight yesterday, and took a rearview video of the third set (apologies that it's a bit wobbly). I would appreciate any feedback.

http://youtu.be/leUhYlTXJVI

Hi libertas, tried to watch your videos but playback is prohibited on mobile devices? Just letting ya know

Thanks! I'm not exactly sure why. I went to edit and the only thing it said was that the content might be prohibited due to the songs playing in the background. I've removed them, so maybe now it will work .... then again, maybe not.

Works now! Yeah must be the music as before it said 'contains content from sony/umg', clever...

So to me these look pretty decent, I will be interested to see what others say.

The two things I spotted were:
    1) depth not being quite there on all reps, &
    2) some slight rounding in lower back during the descent, which you then seem to correct as you drive your hips out of the hole; you can see your tee bunching up on the ascent.

Disclaimer: I'm not v experienced so hopefully someone will weigh in on this to confirm/refute my points!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, and appreciate the comments! I agree that some of the reps are a bit high. It has not been one of my main problems on the lift, and seems to only appear on days when I have more groin pain during the lift.

I also noticed that I'm dropping a bit quickly into the bottom on some reps, which is my guess of why the lower back is rounding.

I'm convinced that if I can correct whatever is causing the groin pain, I will be able to increase the weight quickly (as 190# feels light when things go right).