starting strength gym

Thread: Squat shoes, strength loss

Thumbs down Squat shoes, strength loss

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Here's the deal. I squatted in vans for 18months and they were unstable has hell, but they did the job. They were almost completely flat. My 1rm got up to 222kg/488lb in these.

I recently got some rogue 2011 dowins (0.75heel) and they came on a Wednesday, so I tried front squat and 130x3x3 was sinch so I tried a 1rm front squat to see my BS/FS ratio and got 155kg with upper back being by far the limiting factor.

Friday came and I was going for 182.5x3x5 with a absolute 5RM of about 190 and while warming up I got buried by 170x1. 140x3 before this was getting slow too. No Power out of the hole, very hard to hip drive, falling forward on toes. Hardly any post chain at all. I do low bar backsquat textbook style with the exception of head angle.
    The only good thing was that my foot was glued to the ground, stable as a rock, and I finally understood how broz's lifters walk out so easily.

What to do? Anyone have similar problem? How did u resolve, how long did it take. Did shoes feel better in the end? I've read around but haven't seen someone lose 50-60kg
    off their max just from 0.75 inch on the heel.

Thanks

Your form changes slightly when you change shoes, but it shouldn't take too long to adjust.