starting strength gym

Thread: Part 2 of Sully's Exercise Science review lecture is up

Default Part 2 of Sully's Exercise Science review lecture is up

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025

Good grief, my head is spinning, more difficult than the actual training. Better get Dr J two steaks next time, medium rare I suspect.

Another excellent presentation.

One quibble though. When Sully refers to the his slides, sometimes we see these slides as he talks and all is clear. When I just see Sully as he refers to the slides I lose the continuity of the point he is making. As I said, a minor quibble.

Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    Another excellent presentation.

One quibble though. When Sully refers to the his slides, sometimes we see these slides as he talks and all is clear. When I just see Sully as he refers to the slides I lose the continuity of the point he is making. As I said, a minor quibble.
    Don't quibble too much or they start charging us, I cannot afford Dr J's fees.

This was great! How many parts are there - and how long are we gonna have to wait? Thanks for these -- amazing quality -- not least because they are delivered with enough expertise to be able to even show a little humor - quite entertaining. More, please.

One more, soon.

Could someone expand on the wrapping effect at the bottom of the squat? In particular, I'm curious how it is triggered, whether it's triggered in all squatting variations, and if at the moment it is triggered, the lifter reaches the end of their ROM for the variant of squat they are executing.

Quote Originally Posted by trick_ster View Post
    Could someone expand on the wrapping effect at the bottom of the squat? In particular, I'm curious how it is triggered, whether it's triggered in all squatting variations, and if at the moment it is triggered, the lifter reaches the end of their ROM for the variant of squat they are executing.
    I'm looking for more research on this topic, possibly for an article in 2015 (other SS-related projects are ongoing now, so it'll have to wait).

The "triggering" appears to be primarily mechanical. Your question about the ROM is an apt one. My guess would be that "wrapping" of the patellar tendon and other structures becomes maximal at the end of rom, but it's just that--a guess. Measurements of intra-articular knee forces and forces around the knee in squat variants are hard to come by; what precious little we have on the wrapping effect comes from cadaver studies and biophysical modeling. Best described (and for me, easiest to visualize) for the patellar tendon.

Bit late to the party here, but wow, Sully you have a gift man. Rare to see someone synthesize and present information with such clarity and penetration. Thank you.

Thanks for sharing this too. I'd pay to watch the whole convention on video, but I don't suppose that is a viable option.

starting strength coach development program
    They way to watch the whole convention is to become a SSC and come to the convention.