starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I seem to struggle a lot with my lower back rounding, I do my best to push my belly between my thighs. Do I just lack lower back and core strength to keep it straight? I've been stuck on 140kg for a while now (I only add weight if back is straight)..

DL Front quarter view 140kg (315lbs) - YouTube Front quarter view

DL Form check Side angle - YouTube Side angle

Thank you for your time!!

Your hips are way too low. Your back needs to be more horizontal. Watch the "Learning the Lifts" video for the deadlift and see how it's different than your current set up.

Also, you should not be using 10lb bumpers and then loading smaller diameter plates. You're going to ruin those bumpers quickly.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thank you for the input coach, I just saw the video. I'll re-learn the deadlift the right way. About the bumpers.... those are the only ones I have in the gym. Should I just not use them?

If the gym is okay with you abusing their equipment, I would just keep doing it.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.

Here is an updated form coach, is it better?
    about the 5kg bumpers....yes..I'm allowed to abuse them

DL Form check Front quarter 140kg - YouTube

Your butt needs to be up and back more. Your back is too vertical and the bar is forward of the midfoot.

You're also not setting your back at all. Pick up your chest to get your back flat WITHOUT dropping your butt.

Coach is this any better?

DL form check side angle - YouTube

I'm setting up closer to the bar, half an inch maybe? The previous video I had measured 1 inch with a ruler and you had said my butt wasn't high enough, so I brought it in closer. Is this getting better in any way? I've re-read my notes on the deadlift section in the blue book and re-watched the link you had sent a few times... I'm doing my best to understand this

These are better. You're still lifting with your chest and pull around your knees. Forget about your hands and shoulders when you pull. Set up tight with your back flat and then think "push the floor away."

Also, please space these form checks out a little more. Like at least a few weeks. I'm happy to help out, but this is turning into online coaching.

starting strength coach development program
    Here are my previous 5 deadlifts, any improvment so far? Ever since I've been trying to keep my hips up during these sets, my hamstrings and ass feel on fire!

DL side view 1 - YouTube Side view 1

DL Front quarter 2 - YouTube Front Quarter 2

DL Side view 3 - YouTube Side view 3

DL front quarter view 4 - YouTube Front Quarter 4

DL Side view 5 - 155kg - YouTube Side view 5 - 155kg