starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm a newbie and I find the squat to be the hardest lift from a technical perspective. This is my third set of 165 x 5. Any form tips would be appreciated.

I recorded the first two sets as well, so I could post those too if they'd be helpful.

squat 165 set3 - YouTube

A few things you can correct immediately that would help. Narrow your stance so the heels are under the shoulders. Get your eyes on a spot on the floor about 3-4 feet out. Keep your chest pointed at the ground on the way up and drive your hips. Cut your depth off to right below parallel. Start with those.
    You'll also need to fix the way you're holding the bar with your elbows cranked up. You're asking for some elbow pain down the road. I can't tell if the bar may be too high on your back or if you're upper back just isn't in extension. When you post a follow up form, shoot it from higher up and leave in the part where you get setup under the bar.
    And get some lifting shoes.
    Last edited by Pete Troupos; 03-22-2022 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks for the help! Here's an updated video after I tried to apply your tips.

My main takeaway is that I think I did a better job of leaning over, but the bar tended to move forward on the way up which threw off my balance.

Updated squat form - YouTube