starting strength gym

Thread: Should you still lift even when you're sick?

Default Should you still lift even when you're sick?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I woke up this morning thinking I was starting to get strep throat or something, but as the day progressed I realized that I definitely am getting the flu. Should I still try to go to the gym at some point in this? I remember the last time I had the flu I felt weak and feeble after the whole thing was done, and I don't want to lose weight on the bar.

If you actually have the flu, then no. If you have a fever, then no.

If you just have a stuffy nose and sore throat without a fever, then it kind of depends on how shitty you feel and how good you are at knowing the difference between being a pussy and doing something stupid.

Cold? Go lift. Flu? Rest up. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_.../sick_go_train

Speaking from my own experience - at the first sign of flu-like symptoms I am always better off if I can immediately stop all activity, and just rest. The more I try to fight it, the worse it gets - and the longer I stay sick.

I train through minor illnesses and normal colds. In fact, I find a good workout can help relieve symptoms for a short time.

I definitely wouldn't train if I were throwing up or if I had diarrhea. The last time I felt that "full body" weakness, it was accompanied by much barfing and shitting. I'm not sure what I'd do if I just felt weak but not "leaky". I guess that would be up to you.

I like hsilman's "above the neck, suck it up, below the neck, think about staying in bed" rule.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
    If you actually have the flu, then no. If you have a fever, then no.
    +1. In addition to your own health, please be courteous to your fellow gym-goers.

If you're sick you will not be able to recover from your training, even if the performance is O.K. Try it for yourself if you are eager.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I prefer tbone's knowing the difference between being a pussy and doing something stupid.
    Well, I train 6 days a week and have for about 16 or 17 months. Outside of shifting my schedule around due to traveling, I haven't missed a day of training. There have been plenty of days when I have felt crappy, but there have been very few when I have been genuinely sick. The last time I was sick, I did not have a fever, and I still trained. It was a bad idea on one of the days that I did train. I should have stayed home. I know my body well enough to know when I'm sick sick.

That said, I have not had the flu since I started training 6 days a week. I did have the flu several months prior to that, and despite starting Tami-Flu, I was horrendously ill, had a high fever, and felt like I was dying. I never once considered training during that time, and I think I was on the couch for 3 or 4 days with a high fever and chills.

My experience has been that if I train hard when I'm a little sick I get much sicker. If I stay at home, I can get over a cold much faster.

starting strength coach development program
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned here is that you shouldn't go to a public gym when you are contagious. The next guy or gal using your barbell isn't going to thank you for giving them a cold! And those silly anti-bacterial wipes don't do a thing to the cold or flu virus. Soap and water is the only thing and wouldn't that look silly?