starting strength gym

Thread: Missing lifts and persistence

Default Missing lifts and persistence

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Every so often a new thread starts about what you do when you miss lifts. I don't mean the threads that are asking about a reset. I mean the ones where the person feels so badly about missing reps that their soul is crushed. Every time this happens, I think "Welcome to the life of a weightlifter."

I was at the SS Coaches Association Conference to hear Captain Kirk talk about how they hardly ever missed squats. It just did not happen. But, in weightlifting, I've been told numerous times that the statistics are something like you will miss 70% of your lifts at 95% and above. I don't know where that number comes from nor do I really care, but 70% is a lot of missing.

I always make PR videos of my lifters. We have a lot of successful lifts on video. So, this week, I tried something new and made some videos of misses. Persistence and dedication are what pay off in the end.

Cool thread. Yeah, weightlifting and powelifting are way different in this regard. Probably due to the much more complex technique requirements in weightlifting. Either way, keep up the hard work. It's gotta be tough mentally dealing with all those misses and it's good to remind yourself it's normal.

I had three misses snatching a weight on Saturday. I would have attempted more if we had the time, but I was told to move on. I snatched up the that weight last night (without a miss) and proceeded to miss 3 consecutive times. First two were in front of me in the hole, the third miss was behind me. I'm pretty damn sure I would have had it if I would have caught in a snatch and not a power snatch. My coach always tells me that missing behind is good, it's means it's "too light". I knew I was getting close. I finally got it on my fourth attempt, which was good because I was getting exhausted. It wasn't the best technical lift, but I really wanted it so I steadied myself and stood up. 3kg PR.

Thanks for sharing Tamara.

Good work Craig. I love hearing stuff like that.

Thanks Briks! It was all because of the moustache ;-)