starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In regards to milk...

Default In regards to milk...

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Dear Rip,

Planning on starting your program soon, but am a bit unsure about a couple of things and would love to hear your input.

I am experienced with tracking my calorie intake, and capable of eating some very large meals, and I was wondering if there is any additional benefit to be gained from drinking a whole gallon of milk every day if I am capable of getting the equivalent macronutrients from other sources (meat, dairy, nuts, etc.). I am asking because around where I live (Norway), milk is sold in quart-sized cardboard containers (yes, the largest amount that is sold individually is 1 liter) that are both expensive (a gallon - or 4 liters, would cost the equivalent of about $10) and very cumbersome to drink from.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I notice that you do not recommend for fat people to drink the milk, which leads me to believe that GOMAD is simply meant for people who are used to eating small and incapable of otherwise consuming sufficient calories. If I happen to be mistaken here, might I follow up by asking whether consuming a full gallon is the end-all of milk's benefits, or if I would be just as well of with a quart or a half-gallon (provided my remaining calorie intake is high, of course)? Also, purely out of curiosity, would I be missing out on the growth benefits of milk by drinking 1%, as I prefer the taste of it?

Quote Originally Posted by splatpop View Post
    Dear Rip,

Planning on starting your program soon, but am a bit unsure about a couple of things and would love to hear your input.

I am experienced with tracking my calorie intake, and capable of eating some very large meals, and I was wondering if there is any additional benefit to be gained from drinking a whole gallon of milk every day if I am capable of getting the equivalent macronutrients from other sources (meat, dairy, nuts, etc.). I am asking because around where I live (Norway), milk is sold in quart-sized cardboard containers (yes, the largest amount that is sold individually is 1 liter) that are both expensive (a gallon - or 4 liters, would cost the equivalent of about $10) and very cumbersome to drink from.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I notice that you do not recommend for fat people to drink the milk, which leads me to believe that GOMAD is simply meant for people who are used to eating small and incapable of otherwise consuming sufficient calories. If I happen to be mistaken here, might I follow up by asking whether consuming a full gallon is the end-all of milk's benefits, or if I would be just as well of with a quart or a half-gallon (provided my remaining calorie intake is high, of course)? Also, purely out of curiosity, would I be missing out on the growth benefits of milk by drinking 1%, as I prefer the taste of it?
    I think you have a pretty clear understanding of why Mark recommends milk. There is nothing magical about GOMAD it's just a very easy way for people who don't know how to eat to get a ton of nutrients and calories into their body.

I have heard people say that milk is special because of the hormones or the micronutrients (after all it is created to give to babies who need to grow rapidly) but I have no idea if this is true. I think if you can get the equivalent from cheaper sources then you'll be fine.

Milk is for baby cows, I never touch the stuff.

Are you skinny? how skinny? stats, please.

Not saying that it's impossible but I think you underestimate the macronutrients given by milk. You'll find it very very tough to hit low to mid 200gs of protein without the milk

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Not saying that it's impossible but I think you underestimate the macronutrients given by milk. You'll find it very very tough to hit low to mid 200gs of protein without the milk
    They are called protein shakes. Easier to control PRO intake while not getting the same levels of CHO or FAT, which, depending on your diet, aren't as desired in levels seen while doing GOMAD.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLiftMyBalls View Post
    They are called protein shakes. Easier to control PRO intake while not getting the same levels of CHO or FAT, which, depending on your diet, aren't as desired in levels seen while doing GOMAD.
    This. Although protein shakes are generally expensive.
    Last edited by Eric Larousse; 12-06-2012 at 10:30 AM.

I stopped drinking milk when I was plucked from my mother's breast (actually I was about 5 or 6 years old and I stood up to my mother). I think this is as nature intended. Think "cave man". Would a cave man drink milk? I don't think so.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Packard View Post
    I stopped drinking milk when I was plucked from my mother's breast (actually I was about 5 or 6 years old and I stood up to my mother). I think this is as nature intended. Think "cave man". Would a cave man drink milk? I don't think so.
    If given the option, wouldn't a caveman be pretty omnivorous. If he could get access to it, is of course a different debate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast