starting strength gym

Thread: Wrist supports for a weak wrist?

Default Wrist supports for a weak wrist?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi I recently began SS again after a 2 months of having my right wrist sprained(got it from throwing an ugly hook in boxing). It even hurt to hold the bar when I squat so I couldn't workout anything really.

My wrist has been feeling a lot better after resting it and stretching everyday. I was on TM before I got injured. I also have tendinitis in both wrists, it has been on an off, but it has never really stopped me from working out.

I'm 19 yo, 5ft6 and about 170-175lb. I can squat,ohp,bench and deadlift now. However, sometimes I still feel the pain from the sprain when I bench or ohp. It's not super painful, but it's more painful than my tendinitis and I end up thinking about the pain.

Anyway on to my question, have any of you, who have had problems with their wrist, used wrist supports while working out? I'm talking about something like these :

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/sc...AreferralID=NA

They aren't straps or anything, just supports, I just stumbled upon them while researching about what I can do for my wrist pain. Do you think it'll over compensate for my wrist and ultimately make my wrists weaker?

Thanks I appreciate the advice!

Nah, I would just use them if you need to. I use the Titan THP (36'") wrist wraps right now, and I have used the Inzer Black (36") ones in the past. I would recommend both of them to anyone looking for a wrist wrap. The Inzers are softer, which might be good for a first time wrap.

Best of luck!

Thanks Callador.

I'm looking at the inzers, since I'm only 5"6 and have fairly small hands, do you recommend the small (12") or medium (20")? Sorry I have no idea how the sizing works.

I use the Inzer medium, the black ones with red strips, I think. I also have relatively small hands and wrists. These work well for me.

i ordered the medium sized inzer straps. Hopefyully my wrists will feel better ! Thanks a lot guys

What kind of grip do you take when you bench? Do you wrap your thumb or not?

Quote Originally Posted by ctaingster View Post
    i ordered the medium sized inzer straps. Hopefyully my wrists will feel better ! Thanks a lot guys
    I think those will work well for you. If they don't seem like they are doing enough, you can always get the long ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Packard View Post
    What kind of grip do you take when you bench? Do you wrap your thumb or not?
    I asked about the grip in hopes of pinning down the root cause of the injury.

What's the downside to using wrist wraps? If I understand correctly they do not cross a joint so they wouldn't really increase poundage like a knee wrap, they are just for stability.

Assuming one isn't competing in weightlifting, is there a downside?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    What's the downside to using wrist wraps? If I understand correctly they do not cross a joint so they wouldn't really increase poundage like a knee wrap, they are just for stability.

Assuming one isn't competing in weightlifting, is there a downside?
    The downside is that you rely on the wraps instead of trying to find the root cause of the problem. It is almost always from the excecution of a particular exercise.

In most cases it is because the lifter benches without using the thumb to wrap around the bar, resulting in the bar being off the skeletal structure and stressing the tendons.

You need to find the offending exercises. The wraps will not address that issue.