starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixing my press

Default Fixing my press

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So my press sucks (140 3x5 at 220 bw). Upper body lifts have never been good and they aren't getting better.

Grip width - knuckle of thumbs on the edge between smooth and knurling

Programming - currently 3x5 across then 5x10 bench. On bench day 3x5 bench and 5x10 press

Known issues - tore my supra spinatus 2 years ago. After visiting the chiro, he said my right shoulder blade isn't anchored as well as it should be (blaming poor rehab after the tear). I've started doing TGU and a rehab thing where you start int he bottom of a TGU and roll away from the arm that has the KB while keeping the shoulder locked back.

Are you doing the SSBT 3 version of the press that involves the hip drive and press? (also shown in recent video on this site). I've had some trouble getting the technique down.

I am and have been for a while.

A couple of things I can think of that could help:

1. Do you have any vids of your bench/press? It would be nice to see your technique.

2. Programming. I see you are doing 3x5, 5x10, but how are you working the progression of weight in both lifts from week to week. I say both lifts, since your bench will transfer over to your press. I also would like to know where you put the press/bench in your workout. If it is always after squat or some other lift, that could be an issue to. Moving them to the first position will help.

1. No but thats easily remedied. What is a good angle for recording?

2. I try to raise weights each time for both the 3x5 and 5x10. I have wrist weights I use for micro loading.

I do them after the squat or deadlift, but before any other assistance.

Maybe a 45 degree angle would work.

As for the programming, maybe it is time to move onto something other than weekly progression via microloading. Everything works, but it won't work forever. Right now I am doing a program where I take a lighter week every third week, instead of just moving up all the time. There are other great programs out there that might work for you too.

Can you get the upper body lifts in before squat/DL? I've noticed that a lot of people on this site that have weaker press/bench strength always do their upper body lifts after the lower body ones. Some people use split routines to remedy this, but other just move the bench/press to the beginning of the workout. Either way will probably help your upper body lifts and not really effect your lower body ones. Just something to think about...

I'm not opposed to more complex programming, but getting stuck at 140 lb press seems premature.

I can switch to upper body first next week and see what happens. I should have the video this weekend.

Nice! I think even just switching the lifts around should help a lot.

Whoops, one other thing I forgot to ask...

What are you doing for upper body assistance exercises right now?

starting strength coach development program
    My training consists of
    squats
    deads
    cleans
    snatches
    press
    bench
    pull ups
    chins
    hypers
    weighted situps
    and the above mentioned rehab excersizes.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast