starting strength gym

Thread: [Jerks] Something unusual, part II

Default [Jerks] Something unusual, part II

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hello,

I wanted to update a thread I started a couple of months back (this one:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...t-unusual.html), but I found out it's closed, so I have no other option but to open a new one. Apologies to those who might be interested in the whole story and will have to spend a couple of clicks to follow it from the start.

Since asking for advice the first time, a couple of things have happened. First, I went on holiday. Then, about a month ago I restarted training, working a simple Linear Progression for the slow lifts. For the fast lifts, I have worked on changing a couple of technical aspects for each, using light weights and taking videos of each set. This slows down each session considerably, but immediate video feedback has been quite valuable.

Presented here is the result, still in progress, of all this effort for the Jerk.
    I've tried to cut the depth of my dip, and I've also tried hard to feel the weight over my heels, figuring that if I accentuate this, the weight might actually end up somewhere around the mid foot, where it should be. Both were suggested in response to my original video (in the other thread).

For the time being I am not even trying to bounce off the bottom of the dip, because I think it's easier to add speed to a correct action, than try to correct a fast one, and right now my action is not 100% correct yet.

My impression is that, light weight notwithstanding, the tendence to fall forward at the inversion point has been reduced compared to the earlier attempts I published a couple of months ago. It's still not completely gone, but I think I've made some improvements. I can also feel that my shoulders seem to be a little less sore than they used to, probably a consequence of a less diagonal bar path in the driving phase.
    So, what is your opinion? am I moving in the right direction, or have I wasted the last five weeks?

https://vimeo.com/138906559

Your time is very appreciated as usual, and I thank you in advance for your help.

IPB

PS
    Video is from a set of two, and presents the first rep, the first rep in slow motion, then the second rep and the second rep in slo-mo again.

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Apologies to those who might be interested in the whole story and will have to spend a couple of clicks to follow it from the start.
    They'll live. Having to revive long dead threads is more difficult than just posting a new one.

You've still got a little shift forward right at the bottom, but you land both of those jerks without issue. The problem is that there only 53 kg on the bar. What does it look like at a heavier weight? What are you squatting, pressing, and deadlifting at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    Hello,

I've tried to cut the depth of my dip, and I've also tried hard to feel the weight over my heels, figuring that if I accentuate this, the weight might actually end up somewhere around the mid foot, where it should be. Both were suggested in response to my original video (in the other thread).
    I think I might have chimed in on the other thread about trying to stay on the heels and cutting down the depth on the dip. First off, kudos. The jerk looks much better. With regards to staying in the mid-foot, sometimes the cue of keeping the weight on the heels helps to correct the forward movement, for some people it doesn't work too well. You seem to fall into the latter category. This is fine, but you'll need to cue yourself with a different conceptual understanding of what your doing in the dip and drive.

Rather than thinking of staying in the heels (or "not going to the toes"), just think about dipping into your mid-foot and driving up hard back through the mid-foot. Sometimes its easier for people to do something than not do something. What your doing is dipping down relatively straight, but then rocking into the toes on the drive phase and this sends the bar forward. I'd say to dip down into the mid-foot and then think about throwing the bar backward over your head. This is usually what I'll tell my lifters if they have a rocking forward tendency. Don't hit your damn chin with the bar though.

The biggest thing with the jerk is to have a rigid upright torso and then dip straight down (which you do a decent job of), but then drive straight back up where you came from and through the bar. Tinker around with concepts to get yourself driving the bar straighter ("throw the bar back", "drive straight up", "stay in the mid-foot", "there is a stake through the middle of your foot" etc)

Good luck!

These look better as far as snappy-ness, etc . . . nothing to add to what the two SSC's said (they covered it)

Hi Tom,

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    The problem is that there only 53 kg on the bar. What does it look like at a heavier weight? What are you squatting, pressing, and deadlifting at the moment?
    This is the highest I have tried since resuming training a little more than a month ago. I literally started with the empty bar and the camera, only adding weight when I was satisfied I could keep that up-and-down motion acceptable. As I said above, I need to get the action right first, and then add the weight. The other way round led me to the original video, with lots more weight but a far worse movement.
    As for my lifts, they are still what they were when I opened the original thread (130Kg squat - 62.5 Kg Press). Actually, I think that since coming back from holiday I actually haven't recovered those level yet, so I could arguably be weaker. I am not too worried though; I've resumed training, I've got my program, and it will take a couple of months before I try to improve my PRs.

Hello Tom,

and many thanks for taking the time to stop by.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom DiStasio View Post
    Rather than thinking of staying in the heels (or "not going to the toes"), just think about dipping into your mid-foot and driving up hard back through the mid-foot... I'd say to dip down into the mid-foot and then think about throwing the bar backward over your head. This is usually what I'll tell my lifters if they have a rocking forward tendency. Don't hit your damn chin with the bar though.
    I've seen in the past that a mid-foot cue doesn't seem to work with me, I just cannot feel it. Thinking about throwing the bar back might be easier, I think I will try that and see how it goes. Hopefully I won't need dentary reconstructive surgery while doing so.

Many thanks again guys, much appreciated.

IPB